Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Newborn feeding

Just after your opinions really. Lily is a good feeder in terms of latching on & feeding regularly (about every 90 mins - 2 hours) but when she feeds, she's rarely at the boob for longer than 10 mins. She normally falls asleep at it. I always re-offer it after a few minutes, or offer the other one, but she's not interested.

She seems contented enough after a feed so I'm not too worried, but what do you think? My midwife (who is lovely) said if possible she needs to feed for longer to ensure she gets the hind milk as well as the fore milk.

Oops, forgot to say Lily is 10 days old.

[Modified by: PinkToothbrush on 14 December 2008 16:51:55 ]

Replies

• It's pretty common for los to be falling asleep at the boob at that age, mine certainly did it. I would try to wake her up to take some more if you can- because as your mw says she will then get the hindmilk, and she might then be able to go a little longer between feeds. But don't worry too much as long as she is putting on weight, she will gradually stay awake for longer. I know with Beth that once she was asleep it was practically impossible to wake her up enough to get her to take more- I just had to wait until she was ready.

How is Lily at night? I used to find it sooo frustrating when Beth would wake every couple of hours, latch on for a few minutes and then fall asleep again!

Anyway, sounds like you are doing a fab job!
  • I've had this problem with Faye (4wks), if I took her off and winded her she would then wake up screaming because she wasn't on the breast and I'd have to start again :roll:

Have you tried blowing on her face or pinching her toes to wake up, tends to work with us! Apparently though 10 minutes is the min amount of feeding time so perhaps she is getting her fill?
  • Thank you :\) I'm so pleased I'm able to breastfeed, I'd be really upset if something went wrong :\(

I also find it frustrating at night, Poz - I pop her on and then 10 mins later she's asleep again (unless I try to put her in her crib, of course, when she protests VERY loudly :roll: )

MrsT - I give her a bit of a jiggle under the chin and she'll suck for another few minutes, perhaps, but once she's done she either falls asleep, or rolls her head back with a sort of drunk look on her face and won't take any more. So like you say - perhaps she's just an efficient feeder - she doesn't seem discontent when she's finished.
  • sounds like an efficient feeder image
    Ollie didn't feed much more than 10 mis each time that i can remember.
    bear in mind that their beliies are still small so wont be able to take much, and it is very possible that she is taking her fill within that short a time.
    As she gets older she will take more and go longer between feeds, but at 10 days old I think this sounds good. image

Not long till your first growth spurt, where she may feed every half hour to an hour, and it will seem like hell but she will be able to go slightly longer between feeds after that and take more at each feed too.

Congrats on your LO and bf, and keeping my fingers crossed everything goes well for you.
    xxxx
  • Hi, my lo was also an efficient feeder! Like you I was a little concerned as after the first few weeks he would only feed for an absolute maximum of 10 minutes at a time. I brought it up with his paedatrician a few times and she always reassured me that he was just an effcient feeder. He was also putting on lot's of weight so must have been doing ok. So I think if her weight is fine then she's probably taking what she needs. Sounds like you're both doing well so try not to worry and enjoy. x
  • Hey,

As long as she's putting on weight then dont worry too much! I f your feeding on demand then she'll take what she needs when she needs it!

I was told to tickle her toes to get Louise to feed more, as it stimuates thier sucking relflex. At night you may want to feed her wearing as little as poss so she is uncomfortable, change her nappy, dress her and feed her again - tickling toes at end - as in theory she'll be more full and sleep longer - it worked for me for a few weeks.....

to ensure she gets the 'hind milk' focus on just feeding from one side at each feed,

As others have said she only has a tiny tummy that only only fit in so much milk!

Lisa