Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First suck fear factor!

My LO is 9 days old. We took a couple of days to work out how to latch on but have worked it out now. My main problem is that the first few sucks can really hurt - especialy on one boob that got a bit sore from the early days when we got it wrong. It feels like he has teeth already because his gums are so hard!! image He is latched on properly with a good proportion of my areola in his mouth - more from the bottom than the top and his chin is against my boob etc but the pain of the first few sucks is so bad I can honestly feel a surge of blood rushing to my gums and get a taste of blood in my mouth. :cry: I have to count to ten and breath deeply and try to think of something else. Once he's been going about a minute the pain seems to dissapear almost entirely.

Any tips? ...

Replies

• Options
    sorry to hear the first few sucks are so painful for you, i do remember that feeling, not so bad but it really did make my toes curl and like you after a short time there was no discomfort whatsoever.

i used nipple shields for a few days when i got very sore which wasn't too bad but basically i just gritted my teeth. now i can hardly feel anything there (i do feel his teeth now though)

i also concentrated on one boob for a couple of days (which made me a bit lop sided for a while but didn't take long to go back to normal) as he seemed to latch on better on one side.

sorry don't have any more helpful tips but hopefully you won't be long before they just go numb
  • Options
    have you tried Lansinoh cream? it acts as a barrier and that extra layer really does help lubricate the nipple while feeding so it doesn't hurt as much. It's expensive at ??10 A tube, but you only need a tiny amount and I've had mine for nearly 7 weeks and still got loads left!
  • Options
    thanks for the tips ladies. I have got a tube of lansinoh but I find that it alters the texture of my nipple quite a lot and seems to make it more difficult for LO to latch on - the nipple seems to be less prominent with the cream on and he just sort of slides off it. That said I am persevering with it. Hubby thinks LO is picking up on my first suck tension and anxiety so I am going to try some relaxation techniques to see if that helps.
  • Options
    i remember curling my toes and holding my breath with my first and to be honest i think your nipples just toughen up, coz it stopped on its own eventually.
  • Options
    i had the same problem, i dreaded my little one wanting a feed, image
    i ended up seeing the Dr's about a week or so after he was born, and she told me to take some paracetamol during the day (get advise from Dr first), to help with the pain. and it only took a few days to get better because the paracetamol took the edge off so i was a bit more relaxed about the feed which i think helped.

good luck :\)
  • Options
    someone described it as sucking glass throughyour nipple and i think that hit the nail on the head with me. if you find that the lansinoh cream means you nipples are quite out enough just try gently squeezing/rubbing them between your thumb and finger and it should help with the latching on. the good news is the pain does go away but it does take a while for your nipples to adjust at first.
    good luck and sending u hugs
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - I have been trying your various tips and have had much more success yesterday and today - the first sucks are still a little bit of an "ooh aah" moment but not so toe-curlingly painful. 8\)

I have been trying to give my boobs a good airing (much to hubby's delight :roll: ) although I think it is only a matter of time before I forget and answer the door with one of my boobs poking through my breastfeeding peephole tops! ;\)
  • Options
    i had same problems, i had tiny bits of bleeding which made me buy nipple sheilds as i was worried about baby eating my blood (was only little bits but worried would get worse) i found that lo latched on much more easily which took away some of that initial pain and they gave my nipples time to recover, after a few days i stopped using them as my nipples had recovered - still get a tiny short bit of pain but find that lo latches on much more quickly and it doesn't last as long as it did! i also tried lanosil cream but found it didn't work with the nipple sheilds.

i also try to 'air' them after a feed and use rand name breast pads.
  • Options
    try wiggling ur toes it sounds silly but supposedly it takes quite alot of concentration to do so u kind of zone out the pain. i know some of u will laugh but if it can get me thru having the synotocin drip put in (like a f*ing drinking straw!!!!) it might just work for u xxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    God yeah it really hurts doesnt it!
    I was like that for first 2 weeks and literally had to bite my tongue feels like they are ripping your nipple off!

But by 2 weeks I had no pain and she latches on no problem now no pain or anything in fact if i put her neat the nipple she latches herself on!!

Keep going i promise you the pain goes!

(oh and i had a boob out the other day when postman came to the door - i have never been so embarressed!!!!)
  • Options
    Luckily, I never had any pain to my nipples at all from birth. The only discomfort I had was when my uterus was contracting, it was like labour all over again!!

Then when my milk came in, I hated the feeling of engorged breasts, but that has all settle down now. Some people don't have nipple pain at all.
  • Options
    Just to update - LO is 2 weeks today and my nips must be toughening up nicely as the discomfort is much reduced :\) . Only hurts now if he's worked up and being too frantic when latching on, or when he unlatches as he sometimes finishes of his feed with a sort of clamping bite before coming off - ouch! image - I'm still convinced his teeth are on the verge of coming through already ... :roll: