Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice on how you manage feeding new baby when u hav toddler

Hi guys

I didn't breastfeed my son (he is my first), although I did try and he did get some breastmilk (and the colustrum), but due to a lot of complications after the birth I really struggled and decided to put him on the bottle. I feel a little sad that we didn't suceed, however we are both doing well and are happy so there has been no repercussions. LO is growing just lovely and is very content.

However, I would really like to try and breastfeed my next child but wonder how I will manage when you have a toddler to look after too. I have heard some people saying that for the first 6 weeks you pretty much spend all your time at home feeding constantly until you LO has established a routine and you are producing enough milk for them to go longer between feeds. Is this really the case or is it just an exaggeration. I can't see that we would be happy if son had his routine completely upturned etc. Surely other people have breastfed but still been able to keep up with their older childs routine???

It would be lovely to hear how others have managed and maybe hear some nice positive stories about how others have managed.

Thanks
Rebecca

Replies

• Options
    My lo will be 22 months when the new baby arrives and having breastfed her I have being giving a lot of thought to how I will manage this time. I am planning on buying a sling that I can keep the baby in for most of the time, and that I can feed in 'handsfree' when necessary. I think I will also have to feed in public sooner than I did with Millie, like you I can't imagine how annoyed she will be if her routine goes to pot. I guess we will just have to find a way of working round it!
  • Options
    Hi, I have 3 children, Max aged 4, Dylan almost 3 and Joel 5 months. I breast fed Max for 6 months but found it difficult with Dylan mainly because I was sooo worried about firsts routine, etc, etc. I breast fed Dylan for 8 weeks but introduced bottles very early. I felt very guilty but giving him bottles was the best for all of us and he is a very happy wee boy. I was determined to try and feed no.3 myself. I was lucky as my husband (who normally works away) was off for 3 weeks and he took care of M and D and I did concentrate on feeding but I didn't worry as much. I knew both boys would be fine and just tried to be laid back, easy to say I know but it worked. I think with my second I was VERY anxious about first but he was absolutely fine. I was really worried when hubbie returned to work and was away during the week, especially as oldest boy was at school but it was fine. I guess what I'm trying to say is relax, give it a go and accept ANY help you can. I'm still feeding my youngest and my other two are great. I agree with Bedhead, I also fed in public a lot sooner. I'm sure you'll be great but just do what feels right for you and your family. Best of luck, Tracy
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca
    I have 3 daughters, aged 5, 2 1/2 and 6 months. I didn't bf my 1st 2, but have been exclusively bf my 3rd. I have found it to be a very positive experience and I have been lucky that she is not a grouchy baby and from day 1 would happily go up to 4 hours between feeds. My lo was born end august so I was back doing the school run just a week later, so I fed either before school or after. With my 2 1/2 year old she gets to watch half an hour of her favourite DVD with a packet of raisins or she sits next to me and we read some books. Both of them have been very good whilst I feed, you do get the odd time where they muck around but the main thing is like trazi said relax and accept any help you can.
    Good luck
    Sam xx
  • Options
    Hi
    I tried to feed my 1st baby but had to give up after a week after trouble getting him latched on and worrying about his weight gain etc..

I really wanted to try b/f again and my dd took to it really well.I won't lie it was hard work with 2 to look after but the hardest part is those 1st few weeks and things do become easier.

A couple of tips - buy a couple of dvds your toddler might like and keep them for long b/f sessions.Have a box of toys that he can have maybe when you are feeding.

Accept any help you can get.

I also think the idea of a sling is worth a try.

I also think that having a newborn baby is hard work no matter how you feed - so I kept telling myself this !!

Best of luck xxxxx

http://bf.lilypie.com/Wh2i0/.png

[Modified by: melanie M on February 23, 2008 09:47 PM]

• Options
    Mel M...you hit nail on the head by saying no matter how you feed its hard..
    Even if you bottle feed it will be hard as you are still on your own and need to keep other little ones happy. BF can take longer though so I suppose that is the hard thing and bf babies seem to feed more often.

I found having fav dvds, books etc on hand a great distraction. I having my 5th and the 2 littlest are nearly 4 and just gone 2. I have stacks of play doh, crayons, paper etc.. all ready for when I have this one in weeks time. I will sit in kitchen with them while they get creative and i have sofa in there so I can sit and feed. I still think time and stress (and money) saved on bf is worth it. Dont think anyone should ever feel pressurised to bf though and it is a very personal choice. I make sure I have wrap, sling or blankie when out to hide fact i bf.

Little ones will play up like they do when we busy doing anything that is not giving them our undivided attention. I think so long as they are in a safe room (child gates come in handy) and have access to some toys, books, tv etc then they will soon get message that you are feeding. When my 2 year old was born his brother was 18months old. He used to come and sing twinkle star in his little baby language and stroke Charlies feet during feeding...he got bored after a few days and accepted I was feeding baby and brought me books or just played with his toys. I made sure once I put the baby down I gave Joseph lots of attention and cuddles even though all I wanted to do was go to sleep! Its hard but worth it.
    Good luck with however you feed. My first 2 were bottle fed and they are fine!
    d xx
  • Options
    i only managed to breastfeed my first for 3 weeks, shes now 2. Im planning to breastfeed again, the same as you im worried about keeping up a routine. I had to feed every 2 hours with my first so i know its going to be tough. Hope you manage ok, im stocked up on formula just incase it doesn't work out again. Im being induced on sun. im a week late. Good luck x x