Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Increases feeds/weaning

Hi Ladies - please help!
I went to the HV to get LO weighed yesterday and having gained masses of weight each week he's now only put on 1/2oz in 3 weeks. He's 5 months old and being exclusively breastfed.
The HV had a jolly old time telling me, and all the other Mums that 'breast is best is rubbish' and that there aren't any real health benefits and that the World Health Organisation say babies being breastfed will suffer allergies the same as formula fed babies so we may as well use formula.......

Well should have known better to begin asking her questions about LO's weight after that but never mind!
She suggested weaning him as soon as possible as he 'obviously needs it', and that I shouldn't just have relied on breastfeeding for all this time!!!

My LO is content and happy, but has showed all the signs for weaning (waking earlier and earlier, trying to grab my food etc) but I was really hoping to continue feeding him myself for a little while longer.

I suppose my question is, should I increase his feeds before trying to wean him or am I just being mean to him and should start him on baby rice now? I wondered if adding another feed would work? And then I have got the issue of when I fit that feed in......

OK, so I am rambling a bit now! But it's really knocked my confidence and I don't know what to do for the best.
I did go to my local BF group yesterday but discovered it'd closed 2 years ago..... great!!!

Thanks for any advice/experience.
Tracey

Replies

• Hi tracey, firstly you hv sounds like a complete idiot!!! You have done a great job to get to 5 months exclusively feeding, if you lo is showing signs of being ready you could try and introduce a bit of rice or pureed fruit. If however you think another milk feed would satisfy him then do that, i guess you just have to see what works, I started to wean Isaac at about 19 weeks because he was starving, his weight gain had slowed dramatically and he was taking all the milk i was producing and was still hungry. My hv was v supportive although she did say that they dont need anything other than breast milk for the first 6 months, but then i said that need and want is very different. I dont need chocolate but i often want it lol. You should do what you feel is right and your lo prob wont cut sown on his b/f straight away. Isaac is 11 months old now and still feeds 2-3 times a day.
  • Hi Tracey It sounds as if your health visitor was very unprofessional and even if it was true that babies don't benefit from breastfeeding (which it isn't and maybe she needs to go and do some training) it was still wrong of her to be so negative and knock your confidence. I'm sorry but if it was me I would complain about her.
    Anyway, I agree with hayley that you are doing really well. Weight slows down anyway and it is common for babies to even lose weight when or just before they are being weaned. I started to wean my 3rd lo at 25 weeks and she lost weight at first after being exclusively breastfed and putting loads on.
    When you start weaning you give so little at first anyway that it doesn't make that much of a difference to the weight. If I were you I would probably give another feed especially if he is content and you wanted to wait a bit longer but giving him a spoon or 2 of rice really won't make much difference either way xx
  • hiya, i cant believe your hv, i would report her for that. you must be confident to of got this far, how many new mums has she convinced not to even try i wonder. anyway i started chloe at 5 months coz she really needed it but i would of gone to 6 months if i could of got away with it. you will know ddep down whens right dont stress about weight gain nd looking for the 'signs' just trust your instincts. you wont be starving him, im shore he has a great pair of lungs and wouldnt think twice of letting you know if he was being deprived.

good luck sian
  • Bet your hv never breast fed! I'd increase his breast feeds and try a bit of baby rice too.He's not going to gain loads of weight with veg and rice anyway, so hv hasn't got a clue what she's talking about. Al x
  • OMFG!!! Your hv is a b!tch. You should definitely get her reported to your health care trust thing. What she's said is so appalling not only because it's bloody wrong but also because think how many new mum's were affected like you were!!!
    My LO isn't at weaning age yet (13 weeks tomorrow) but my friends baby is 8weeks older and is already on 3 meals a day, you've got to remember that you're a great Mum and you've managed so far by trusting your instincts, also don't remember he'll still be feeding from you so it won't be as big a change as you think.
    Also, spoke to my mum (expert: 5 kids +2step) and she said sometimes feeding them can fill them up so they don't eat as much, so don't get enough of the nutrients they need.
    Try speaking to a midwife or a different health visitor about it- and don't forget to report that stupid idiot!