Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeping for longer at night

Hi ladies

I know people usually want to know how to get their baby to sleep longer at night but I'm actually worried about her sleeping longer!! :roll:

Until recently Olyvia was still on strict 3 hourly feeds as she was premature and small. Once she reached 7lbs the HV said it was ok to leave her up to 4 hours in the day and 4 - 5 hours at night if she'd sleep that long. She wouldn't because she suffers from terrible wind pain. HOWEVER, we recently bought her a wedge for under the sheet to raise her head a little and a sleep positioner to keep her on her side as she's much more comfortable that way and the last two nights since we started using them she's slept much longer - the first night she went 4 1/2 hours between feeds and last night she fed at 2am was asleep by 3am and I had to wake her up just before 8am as she was still asleep and hadn't woken me!! So that would be 6 hours between feeds.

I'm feeling nerous/worried about letting her go longer between feeds. She's 8 1/2 weeks and feeds approx 3 hourly in the day. How long should I expect her to go at night? How long should I leave her or should I be waking her up?

I think I'm a bit worried because she's still only small for her age (7lb 9oz) and also she didn't gain so much last week as previous weeks (3.5oz as oppose to 6/7oz).

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

Replies

• Options
    Its easy for me to say I wouldn't wake her for feeds but then Felix is a chobber and I am not concerned about his weight gain. If you are uncomfortable about her going that long I would decide on a length of time you are happy with and wake her after that amount of time. Will she feed when she is still half asleep? Perhaps you could rouse her just enough to get her feeding.
    If you are concerned speak to your health visitor about how long she should be going between feeds now she is a bit bigger.
  • Options
    Hi nn

dont worry, i know she was early and small, but she could be going through the night by now. My second son was 6lb10 when he was born at 37 weeks and i BF him. He was going through from 10-11pm till 7-8am by 9 weeks. My other son was 6 weeks although he was formula fed.

Dont worry, you are doing fine. She is obviously well settled and being well fed if she is sleeping that well.

Gemm x
  • Options
    i want yr baby - bebe still wakes every 2-3 hrs for a feed and she is 51/2 mths!! ahhhhhhhhhh! xxx