Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Small weight gain (also in baby)

Hi

My daughter Amelia is nearly 12 weeks and EBF. She was only 5lb 15 oz born and so follows a low growth curve - however her weight gain has averaged at around 10 oz a fortnight until yesterday when I took her for a weigh in and she had only gained 1oz in 2 weeks. She has only dropped slightly below the 2nd centile line that she was following but it still bothers me that it was such a small gain. The HV wants me to take her in again next week to see if shes gained anymore.

Has anyone ever experienced such a small gain? Is it a problem? She seems happy enough, has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and sleeps for 6-9 hrs in a block at night.

Any experiences/advice welcome!

CJ

Replies

• yup, there was one week where lo gained nothing, zilch, nada! I think he was around the 12 week mark(he's 14 +4 now) He was 6lb 11 at birth, and was following just above the 9th centile but was slightly below that last time I had him weighed. The week before that he'd only gained 1 1/2 oz. However, my hv and the other that weighed him weren't bothered at all and said that sometimes they just stay steady for a while. I was really worried about it and got myself all stressed, but the week after he gained fine, and the whole time he was healthy, good colour, chubby legs. my mum calmed me down, as did my bf advisor and I've only had him weighed once since, so if she is happy and healthy don't worry xx