Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any mums breastfed two or more?

Hi, I breastfed my son for 14 months and I am pregnant again. Just wondered if it is easier second time round and if there are any mums who had problems second time who were find the first time? I found feeding a great experience and had no problems (except for the usual issue of baby wanting to feed all the time lol). Does it hurt at the start or are your nipples still "weathered" from the first time? Mine are permanently misshapen now lol!

Replies

• congrats Lemon Cupcake!
    i'm still bf my second. She took to it fine, my nipples were a bit sore from the second day til milk came in on day 5 just cos of the constant sucking and milk took a while cos i had a quick labour and delivery. i used the lansinoh too and once milk was in they were fine, i had no probs (apart from the constant feeding haha)
    my nipples like yours were already bigger from first time round and hadnt gone back, now they are bigger still!
    Good luck, you'll be fine x
  • Hi, with my first I had extremely sore and bleeding nipples for about the first week, and tbh it was agony, and took me a few weeks to get the hang of bf'ing properly.

However, with no.2 and no.3 I took to it like a duck to water - I only experienced v slight soreness for about a day - I suppose nipples getting used to bf'ing again. No serious probs at all.

I have never heard of any mum having problems 2nd time round when they fine the first time.

Hope this helps and good luck for your no.2!

x
  • Mims - that mum is me.

Ollie took to it like a duck to water, but he was a big baby and fed constantly for the first four weeks.

MJ was more difficult - she was a tiny 7lb 13, and she has a slight tongue tie - it doesnt affect her now, but using hindsight I should have asked them to snip it, even though she could stick her tongue over her lips.

She was very difficult to get started, we think because she was so tiny (still in 3-6 clothing and she's 10 months old now) it took a good 7/8 weeks before we started getting any sort of routine. She fed every two hours day and night until she was about 6 months old as well which was draining.

Add to that a jealous toddler and it did make it very difficult.

We are still bf though, she still has 4 milk feeds a day (as well as her 3 meals and 2 snacks) and anything up to 4 feeds a night
    I havent had any 'physical' problems this time (mastitis and engorgement, cracked nipples with Ollie) except that my supply has dropped a couple of times, but putting her to the breast and drinking fennel tea helped that improve over a week or so.

It might have been more difficult but it is still worth it image
    Stephe

xx
  • I'm still feeding my 2nd as well. I had very different problems with both my two. 1st time round I had no idea what I was doing, a lazy feeder who wanted to be up all night and 2 lots of mastitis in the first 6 weeks. 2nd time round the actual feeding was easier, Barney was a huge greedy pig who took to it imeadiately, but I had MUCH sorer nipples. He was so enthusiastic that by the time my milk came in he'd actually drawn a blister on one side purely from sucking on one side. Needless to say, when my milk did come in there was gallons :lol: I think in general it is easier 2nd time round though, even if you do encounter problems purely because only one of you is a beginer, and also I think you tend to be more relaxed about the whole thing.
    xx
  • I have bf both my lo's (currently feeding my 10 month old) and have had two completely different experiences. With my first I managed most of the painful breastfeeding related problems..mastitis, engorgement, thrush. But second time round it's been a breeze. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Not even soreness at the start.

Nipple wise, mine are bigger (sob) after my second lo, but I don't know how they will be when I stop bf. Hoping they'll shrink back!!
  • i am feeding my second baby and am finding it easier this time round. Nipples only a little sore this time and that didn't last very long. I still have supply issues but its better than first time round.
  • Thanks for all the great responses. Glad that most of you felt second time was easier. I am getting quite excited about feeding again and looking forward to it. It just feels great being able to do something for your baby that no one else can. lol! I suppose that was so important to me last time coz I went back to work when DS was 5 months. Well, come July I will likely be posting a lot more in here again! Can't wait!
  • Thansk for this post lemon cupcake, the responses are useful for me too. I'm expecting no2 in June and really want to breastfeed again, but I struggled so much with no1 (we both did, he struggled to latch, I was sore and bleeding, thrush lasting a month, masitis etc etc), I persevered and we got there, but it took about 10 weeks and I was worried that I won't be able to devote the same time to it again with a toddler to run around after too - it's encouraging to hear that other people have found it easier the second time, I'm hoping it'll help that I'll have more clue what I'm doing this time at least!