Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Engorged breast

Hi, Has anyone got any advise as to how to help to prevent engorgement and/or treat it when it happens! I have had it a few times, despite following normal advise eg not wearing tight bras, trying different feeding positions, regular feeding etc. When I get it it is soooo painful and usually lasts a full day, where my lo and I get so upset as he can't feed and screams for ages! It is so painful to feed but I keep trying and using warm compresses etc, but does anyone have experience of this and a magic cure?!? I always try to get rid of it as quickly as poss as don't want to end up with mastitis!! Any help would be great, thanks so much xxxx

Replies

• Poor you! I'm lucky to have only had this a couple of times, and find a warm bath helps abit, and also expressing. The expressing did lead to it happening more often to be honest, but helped in the short term. I have one of those gel pads you can either heat, or refridgerate now, so if it happens again i'll be using that. xxx
  • I used to get this...it even made me feel fluey each time, although I don't think it developed into full blown mastitis. I used to massage the blocked ducts quite firmly, and kneed my boobs with my knuckles when expressing to relieve the lumpy areas. It does kill but if you can stand it, it worked for me. x
  • Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I have now bought one of those lavender heat packs that you can put in the microwave, as it was so hard to do hot flannels when I was suffering and on my own -they go cold in a minute and you end up dripping wet through! Am hoping I don't have to use the heat pack but have got it if I do.
    My lo is 12 weeks today so I feel I have reached a bit of a milestone. He has also been really good taking ebm from a bottle so feel very lucky that I can at least escape for a couple of hours now and leave him in the capable hands of oh or grandparents! Thanks again xx