Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

baby started waking lots in night for feeds,any ideas??

hi there im back again!!what would i do without u all!grace is now just over 9 weeks old and for the past 2 nights has been wakin every 2 hrs through the night for a feed which is something she has never done before,she usually only wakes once in the night.I thought it could be a growth spurt but shes had growth spurts before n still never waken like this!!any ideas?? xxx

Replies

• are you only picking her up once she starts to really cry?? Babies come in and out of sleep and if left will sometimes settle themselves back. The amount of times I have got up to Amelia and gone to loo first and got a drink then come back to find her sleeping again!!!!

Also, is she too hot, cold, wet, dirty, winded etc etc... I would leave her to grumble a bit to see what happens. Also, while she feeding if she slows down after only a few minutes of feeding I would tickle her feet to get her gulping a full feed again and/or offer both breasts.

Is she feeding this much during the day??? Try to put her to breast ever 2 hours during too?

fingers crossed for you

d xxx
  • she has always fed alot in the day anyway,the most she ever goes is 3 hrs but then has always cluster fed in the late afternoon/evening,n yes the last couple of days she has been feeding alot more in the day too.Maybe i should leave her to cry a bit at night but its difficult cuz shes still in our room so keeps hubbie awake n he has work nxt day and also we have our 3 yr old in the next room too that i dnt want waking up!i'll see how she is tonight,have invested in a dummy today because i thought she was sometimes using me as one.As for the nappy changing etc i did all that when she had been feeding for an hr last night and she still wanted feeding afterwards!she finally fell asleep another hr later!!thank u for replying xxx
  • Boo! No flippin idea mate - you've probably seen my recent posts and I don't know what my own name is anymore but wanted to send you another hug!!!xx
  • thanx mate sendin a big hug n glass of bubbly ur way i bet u need it!!lol
    Im sure babies r sent 2 confuse us just as they have lulled us into a false sence of security of thinking we know their cues!!
  • I'm gonna go with the good ole growth spurt image

they have different types of spurts depending on what is growing - if its their body growing they will tend to feed more frequently and be satisfied with that - if its their brain (all the neurological links they have to make) growing they might not be satisfied with just feeding but need soothing/cuddling as well......

I've just read that back and its sounds so far fetched doesnt it!? :lol:

See if the dummy works, its another thing to cross of the list if it doesnt/does.

as suggested you can also leave her to cry for a bit to see if she really does need attention, and hubby should understand - i dont think mine got any sleep for 12 weeks :lol: even while he was working.

Do you swaddle her at night? Maybe try that? If she has a blanket it could be coming off her and she is getting a bit cold? When we put Ollie into a sleeping bag he slept so much betterbecause he couldnt kick his blanket off...

I know how difficult it is when they wake in the night, Ollie did it for ages (well he slept through from 8 weeks till about 14 weeks - but we didnt because we were worried - sods law - then started night waking again from then till 8 months....) and we ended up doing CC, which was hard.

sending a big hug, and hoping youve had a better nights sleep last night.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • thanx sy for the reply,i have a sleeping bag for her i may try it,im also considering putting her in her cot v soon as she looks so big now in her moses basket!the dummy seems to be helping to settle her at times,shel take a few sucks and then spit it out when falling asleep.I do definately think its another growth spurt and also i think shes also started to fight sleep when shes tired so iv started putting her in her cot when she cries in the day if shes been fed,winded etc and giving her a dummy n wrapping up etc n shes been falling a sleep after a little protesting.Maybe its her age n shes learning how to try us etc!!i've started to be stricter in trying to establish an evening routine the last couple of days too,bath feed n then settling down to sleep n touch wood shes been asleep for about 8.00pm with me waking her at 10.30 for nappy change n last feed,she seems happier with this so i think most of the crying and feeding shes been doin in an evening was actually cuz she was over tired.i'm looking forward to having her weighed this week to see if we r right about the growth spurt!! xxx
  • great news...

Amelia has always woken at about 2 or 3am for feed but last 2 nights she has woken at 12.30, 3, 5 and wide awake for another feed at 7!!! With a 2 and 4 year old plus 2 teenagers i am the living dead!!!

She will be 5 months on 26th so think gonna try solids today. just baby rice with ebm....wish me luck

d xxx
  • yea i bet shes ready fro it hun,i had to wean my older daughter early as she started waking in the night after she had been sleepin thru.Good luck,i bet she'll love it!! xx
  • i hope its the answer!!!!

I can barley keep awake today

d xx
  • i know how u feel!!have u tried her with some rice 2day?did she like it?? xxx