Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

10 mins every four hours?

little Ruby is 4 weeks and 3 days old.
lately she has started takiing only 10 minutes on the breast before writhing around, making funny noises and refusing any more. Then she tends to go for about 3 or four hours before wanting anymore and then i'm offering it rather than her begging for it.
does this sound right?
she is sleeping well and having awake time quite happily too.

pls help

Rachel. x

Replies

• Options
    my lo does that sometimes, sometimes winding her helps, if not i offer her the otherside and 'drinks' till she falls asleep or does it again.
    as long as your lo is putting on weight there shouldn't be a need to worry, perhaps you could spend some time expresing your milk inbetween feeds to keep up milk production for when her hunger increases - eg when she has a growth spurt?
  • Options
    luca does this alot n he's fine just me that gets stressed achey boobs dont help lol
  • Options
    The writhing around would suggest she could have a little tummy ache but as long as she isn't crying and trying to feed but then can't then I wouldn't worry.

I have breastfed all my three babes and the best thing I ever did was to stop clock watching. It doesnt matter how long or little they feed for - they will only ever take what they need in the first 6 months.

If she loses weight though see your HV at the clinic.
  • Options
    My LO's feeds only lasted about 10 mins as I had a really fast letdown so he filled up really quickly! image
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• Options
    grace only feeds for about 10mins too every 3 hrs but i do have to wind her before switching breasts.She seems very content so im assuming she can get it really quickly so thats y it only takes 10mins.Hanna n gracie 4mths xx
  • Options
    Amy is 10 wks old and since about 5 wk old been only feeding for 10 mins every 4 hours and is putting,loads of weight on. Apparently totally normal as your body knows what to do and baby knows what to do to!

Its great as when she was born feeding wouls take 45 mins!
  • Options
    my lo did this too, he slept loads and loads. lots of people said to me 'he's growing' sounds like your lo has cracked the bf lark, obviously just getting enough quicker than before.

sounds like you're doing fabby