Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice needed

Daniel was born on the 21st of January and weighed 6lb 9oz we was in hospital for 7 days and his weight went down to 6lb 3oz and they said it was OK and I know all babies lose weight. When the midwife come round she weighed him and said he was 6lb 4oz so I thought this was good as he had put on.
When I took him to get weighed last week he had gone down to 5lb 12oz and the health visitor said this wasn't good but wasn't too worried as he looked healthy just told me to eat and drink more and to go back today which we did and he was 5lb 14oz so had only put on 2oz which i thought wasn't a lot as he had been feeding a lot especially last night when he was waking every 2 hours the health visitor said to take him to the doctors to get him checked out but perhaps try a formula feed in the evening then take him back next week to get weighed again. The Doctor said he was fine and to eat and drink more.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem and what did you do?
Not sure if I'm getting the right type of milk though as my mum couldn't breast feed as she didn't have the nutrients in her milk should I switch to formula?

Replies

• Your baby is still very young so your milk supply will still be getting established. Does your baby cry a lot like he is still hungry, you haven't said that he does this so he must be getting what he needs.

although my lo was over 8lb born after a couple of weeks, although he didn't loose weight he fell into the 2nd centile and he's stayed there ever since, he lost weight at about 4 months but was still happy and content so i didn't worry.

just keep going, make sure you're eating pleanty and getting enough to drink too. 2oz in a week sounds fine to me,

how long does your lo stay of the bood for? I was advised by the NICU and SCBU midwives to feed from one bood at a time beacause baby will get more of the hind milk which comes after the initial thirst quenching milk, and the hind milk has more calories and nutrients in it. if you lo falls asleep while feeding maybe change his nappy and try and see if he'll have some more after you've woken him up a bit.

i found it helpful to express some milk and use that after a feed to see how much more he would take, it meant that when i went into the gp or hv i could say well i expressed however many oz and he drank it all and had 10 mins on the boob too.

i'm sure you're producing what your baby needs just keep going you're doing fab
  • Thanks for your reply.
    He is very contented he only ever cries when he wants a feed and then he will go back to sleep. altough today he has been on all day thought he was comfort sucking so tried a dummy and that didn't settle him and because he didn't seem to be setting I tried a little formula feed as midwife suggested and he took 4oz and he has gone straight to sleep

He is on the boob for at least 20mins (apart from today)
    I don't want to give up bf as I love the closeness it gives us but I don't want him to get ill. He just looks really tiny.

I will express some and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice
  • The more you feed the more milk you will make your son is still quite young and probabally still getting into a routine. I would advise that your try waking him for feeds every 2 hours. Katie was born on the 7th of January she weighed 8lb 10 I had her weighed at 5 weeks and she weighed 10lb 6, she is my 5th baby and alot of the time find meeting needs of everybody quite demanding but I would recomend plenty of rest, a good healthy diet with 500 calories more a day and plenty of drinks. You could always drop 1 feed a day and use formula I did this with numbers 2 and 3, good luck and try not to worry too much as this will effect your milk think possitive. YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU CAN DO THIS AND YOU WILL.