Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Medela breast pumps??

Hi, im 27wks with my second and after giving up bf early on with my first im determined to do it this time. Im thinking about expressing and bf, i have been looking at the medela breast pumps and was wondering what is the difference with the swing and just the electric pump?? xx

Replies

• hello,cant really help but iam using the mini electric one,its very loud but it does the job

sarah
  • I too have the electric mini and am pumping a lot. It is much more effective and less stressful than the avent manual I had but dallen angel is right, it is bloody noisy i.e. you can't hear the tele over it even with it turned up super loud. It is pretty efficient though and really basic to assemble (the avent manual was a massive mission to put together, take apart and wash each time, by comparison. The medela mini only has two parts to wash and sterilise)
  • i second lizzie i have this pump and i use it daily its easy and more efficient than my avent manual one and lol yes its easier to assemble!!
  • you still hanging in there with the BF, hayleys? Hope ur doing ok xxx
  • hanging in there hun. every night is so different and i cry most nights with frustration and tirednes. hubby was up with her at 530 this morning as she wouldnt settle after her 2am feed! she is full of snot too and cant breathe nightmare. she does brill in day goes 4 hours at a time but nighttime is different she starts crying from about 6pm until 10-11pm and then from her 1-2 m feed too! im sticking to it even though sometimes i want to give up and let hubby do some night feeds!!! he did a feed for her the other night at 1130pm and he fell asleep stroking her hair and i woke to her whinging and he had hi hand over her face!!! i nearly died! now im wary of him feeding her as he cant stay awake lol!!! men dont have the same instinct as us at all do they! how you feeling? xx
  • I think I must be one of the only people who don't get on with the Mini Electric pump! I found it very ineffective and actually prefer my Avent manual one which is much kinder on my nipples! Everyone to their own eh?! LOL

Corinna x
  • Hi i dont have the swing but i have the mini medula pump and its works well for me but it is really noisy!lol
    I think the difference of a medela swing compared to an ordinary electric pump is that rather than just ordinary pumping it has two different styles of pumping action. So its pumps really quickly like the baby sucks to get the letdown then goes at a slower speed once the milk starts to flow. I would imagine it would be more expensive to buy but would probably be easier get the milk out as i have a real hard job getting my letdown whilst expressing and used to have to have to get my lo feeding on the other boob to stimulate my letdown so would probably buy a swing for next time xx
  • I have a Swing and love it. I use it 3-4 times a day and it works very well. I haven't got the normal electric one to compare but I can definitely watch TV while using the swing.
  • Bit better now hayley thanks xxx

Corrinna, the soft cushion on the avent manual is much nicer on ur skin than the medela, I agree