Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Has anyone given LO a dummy ?

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has given LO or has considered giving LO a dummy ?

I have had for the last few days problems settling my daughter she does have some probs with colic but today all she wants to do is suck wheather it be on the breast, her arm, her hand etc

Thanks

Cazz

Replies

• Yes my lo has a dummy - has done since about 8 week s(I think - can't remember definite timings) I tried earlier than that but he couldn't manage to keep one in. Now he only has it to get to sleep (7months) but earlier he had it to setle him anytime of day!
  • My lo has a dummy and she is one week old today.Had one from about 2 days old.Has suffered from awful colic so it was recommended to help as babies need to suck on something to get comfort when suffering from colic.Before that felt she was constantly feeding!
  • Hi Ladies

Thanks for the replies

Well i bought my daughter some Tommee Tipee closer to nature dummies last night and they seemed to settle her i actually managed to eat my tea which is a first without having her feeding at the same time.

Thanks again

Cazz
  • Hi Ladies

Thanks for the replies

Well i bought my daughter some Tommee Tipee closer to nature dummies last night and they seemed to settle her i actually managed to eat my tea which is a first without having her feeding at the same time.

Thanks again

Cazz
  • i think my l/o used me as a dummy wouldn't accept anything else (unfortunately) even the closer to nature ones! :roll:
  • yeah mine little one is 4 weeks old and we gave her one last week - they are amazing really calms her down and she doesnt need to use me as a 'dummy' plus she was getting a feed when all she wanted was comfort so health visitor adviced it.

it hasnt stopped her latching on or caused any problems expect it settles her. They are great!
    xx
  • My LO is 8 days old, i've tried giving her a dummy at night when all she wants to do is feed while i'm so exhausted all I wantto do is sleep! It only worked once and only for 20mins or so but gave me enough of a break to then carry on feeding! I've got the closer to nature ones and definatly has not effected the breast feeding.
    I guess she didn't like the dummy so much as it isn't so satisfying!
  • Hi, I gave my LO a dummy - I had bought some before he was born incase he needed one as I have a friend who had one daughter who didn't need one & one who had to as she wanted to suckle all day!
    He naturally rejected it himself at 4 months & used it more like a rattle.
    I had bought Avent & MAM ones but apparently newborns find the cherry shaped teats easier to keep in their mouths than the new shapes.
    Him having a dummy never affected BF'ing.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• My LO has had a dummy since he was 3 days old and it hasn't affected how he feeds.
  • This is such a dilema for me! :\( My LO and I took a couple of days to get the knack of latching on so I'm really anxious about giving him a dummy in case it sets us back again. OH keeps emphasising that all the advice says don't give a dummy to a newborn for the first 4 weeks if you are bf but if baby doesn't settle at night I get so tired and knackered and stressed and tearful that I really want to give him one.

I gave him one last night and he settled lovely and I was able to get 3 hours sleep before he woke for his 3am feed - when I put him back down he settled without his dummy so I didn't give it back to him.

But today I thought he was having trouble latching on again at times - being a bit prissy-lipped and just licking my nipple so now I'm scared to give him the dummy again. :\?
  • Hi Redpod

How old is your LO Jaina was 3 weeks when i gave her her dummy.

She takes it if she is really upset with herself but usually calms down then spits it out.

Which dummies are you using ?

Cazz
  • He is just 10 days old. I'm using MAM for newborns.
  • i posted before saying that my lo didn't really accept the dummy, now she's 13 days old and is using it sometimes. yesterday she was really uncomfortable because of the heat and could have fed all day if i'd had the energy to, i gave her the dummy and she settled with her daddy so i could have a nap.
    i was having trouble with her settling in her moses basket at night - some nights a little suckle on her dummy has helped this

repod - i know your worried about breast feeding but i also read your post about pain - giving your baby a dummy could help this as could give u a break. my lo will spit out the dummy if hungry (we were getting her registered when she was hungry and a dummy wouldn't work!) i give my lo dummy for my benifit really! stops her from using me when she just wants a little comfort and can help her to sleep so i get more sleep.

we bought the tomme tippee closer to nature dummys,

really though you have to do what u think will make you more relaxed and happy as your lo will pick up on your feelings
  • hi all,i said i wouldnt use a dummy but i bought grace the closer to nature ones this week and its really helped settle her.Shes 10 weeks old now and we have actually got into a bedtime routine with her settling to bed after bath n feed at 7.30ish and we wake her for a nappy change and dream feed at 10.30.Shes a very sucky baby and before this she would be down stairs until we went to bed because she wanted to constantly feed,now i realise that she was just tired and wanted some comfort from sucking so the dummy has worked wonders for us and doesnt affect her feeding at all,to be honest iv given her an occasional bottle of ebm since she was a few days old to get her used to bottles for if my mum ever has her for us and this hasnt effected feeding either xxx
  • Well I gave Z-J a dummy last night again - bliss!!! 8\) He had been very good all day but I think it was just the heat making him a bit fretful and unsettled at bedtime and he was very grizzly. It meant we were all able to go off to sleep at bed time :\) . He woke as usual for his 2.30/3am feed. He had spat out the dummy at some stage - I gave it back to him to suck on while I changed his nappy (this was great as he usually gets all frustrated waiting for his feed - hubby didn't even notice we'd got up). He took his feed fine. I gave him the dummy to resettle and he woke at 5.30 without the dummy for his next feed. Again he took his feed without problems and has been feeding well all day so I've decided I will give him the dummy at nights if I feel he needs it to help settle him to sleep.
  • My first baby took the dummy from day 1. They gave it to her in the hospital and I didn't really have an opinion on it then. She loved the dummy, and used it for two years until I told her a story and made her give it up over night. However I breastfed her for a year with no problems at all.

My new baby (now 6 months) doesn't take the dummy as much so I have a few lying around but rarely use them. However, they do help when I'm really exhausted and he's really in the mood to suck!