Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

expressed milk..how long at room temp

I accidently left some freshly expressed milk out overnight and I can't remember how long its ok at room temperature for, and my info sheet on milk storage times is buried deeply under a pile of clutter!!

Does anyone know how long its ok at room temperature for? The bottle is in the fridge now, but I have a funny feeling that overnight isn't good and I'll need to chuck it.

Replies

• i would get rid to be on the safe side
  • the new info says it can be left at room temp for 10 hours, but personally id throw it away to be on the safe side.

stored in the fridge its 48 hours, freezer compartment 2 weeks, small freezer 3-6 months (depending on how oftne its opened) chest freezer /larger freezer it can be stored for up to 12 months (again depending on how often the door is opened)

xxxx
  • Thanks for the replys image

I think it wasn't more than 10 hours, but some had been in the fridge for a bit before then so I'll chuck it.. I thought I'd have to, but I figured you'd have the answers Stephe!

How new is that info btw? Cause the info I had from November last year said 3 days in the fridge at a certain temp (might have been 4 degrees or higher) or 8 days if lower than 4? degrees. And freezer it said 6 months, not specifying the type. I have a fridge freezer that gets opened about once a day...maybe more if I have icecream image As far as I know anything in there is ok for 6 months.
  • we were given it at our course last week and they just said it was new info.....
    have checked and it does say you can store it in the fridge for up to 8 days... and the diff for the freezers they seem to base on temps, small would be above -20 and large lower than -20.....

(i dont always have the answers... but spend hours and hours googling and looking up stuff image )

you're a bad woman - mentioning ice cream................. ;\) have only got about 8 litres in stock just in case (it was my only real preg craving but once he was born so i guess youd call that a feeding craving... :\? )

xxx
  • More new info...I wish theyd make up their mind!

8 Litres of Icecream...mmm yum. Mint choc chip is my favourite! I don't know how widely its sold but do you get Bruciannis Icecream where you are? Its the best ice cream ever! When we were on honeymoon in Nice though there were icecream stalls wi th the most freaky flavours ever! And some of the colours were just scary... I dread to think how many e-numbers made them that colour! THey even had beer flavoured ice cream!
  • at the moment i'm enjoying cornish or jersey ice cream, with raspberries or blueberries with it. but have got mcc, neapolitan, rasp rip, strawberry chscake... and jersey, mmmmm
    it is worrying tho that ollie stares at me when i eat it and demands some - he seems to love it as much as me.....

not heard of Bruciannis, but will certainly look for it now!

When we were in italy we went on a guided walk of sorento and they took us to an ice cream parlour - they had 80 different flavours and veryone got a free sample, except me. I got a huge tub full of about 6 different flavours..... image
    there were some highly unusual colours there - nean orange, green and yellow.... :\?

xxxx
  • Mm sounds good.. strawberry cheesecake!! Bruciannis is made in Morecambe but distributed around the general area - not sure how far away they go but I had a feeling you aren't that much further up north.

Ice cream should never be yellow..... it'd remind me too much of yellow snow!
  • were almost directly north as the crow flies - will have to see if we can pop into morecambe today while were there.... am gonna have to try me some of this ice cream...

i googled it and found lots and lots of people who literally rave about it... image

i think the yellow one was lemon something or other....

another one i really really like is anything by carte dor.... and their vanilla is so smooth and creamy..... *drools*

xxxx
  • I'm not so keen on carte d'or.. dunno why. Bruciannis have a shop on the prom in morecambe, towards the west end, and they also have one in Preston. Booths supermarket also sell their ice creams and so do a couple of cafes on the prom. I like the mint choc chip.

I'm impressed... I did remember vaguely where you are... thats not bad for my memory!! Think it was from when there was a meet being organised on YYW.

I had a bounty icecream today... hubby bought it (probably cause I'd got cross at him!!) - totally undid the good of going on a long walk...but it was good image
  • long walks need rewards tho... image

you'll never believe this but talking to mil last night and when she divorced hubbys dad she worked for bruciannis! Said she had to stop working there because the ice cream was too too nice :lol:

think it must have been the meet from yyw - and i remember where you live coz the in laws live there too! image

have you ever tried any of the ice creams from lidls? Some of them are wacky but others are really lovely....

hubs is gonna buy me some bruciannis today imageimageimage

xxxxx
  • Its a small world isn't it!! I used to work at a cafe that sold bruci's ice cream.. we used to make ice cream milkshakes when the boss had gone out!!

Havent tried any lidls ice creams - I keep meaning to go there and see if they have any good cheap stuff but i keep forgetting. I might have to if they have good icecream!!

If you come to visit the inlaws, go to the pottery shop in town and have some of their lemon meringue ice cream cake...its gorgeous!!