Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby not gaining enough weight

I'm no longer bf so I know its a bit cheeky to crash your forum...

I bf for 19 weeks but stopped when my LO gained weight so slowly that he dropped from the 75th centile (8lb9oz when born) to below the 25th. Some weeks he even lost the odd half-oz.
I fed on demand during the day and when he wanted it through the night, sometimes up to 3 times. I eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water and juice. The HV's didn't seem bothered that he was dropping so low and never gave me any advice.
My LO is now 9 months, on formula and solids, and is back up to the 75th.

Me & hubby will be TTC in a few months and bf is really playing on my mind. I would like to bf again but don't want my LO dropping so much weight again.

Any advice or attempts to explain why he didn't gain weight would be very gratefully received.

Thanks xx

Replies

• Hi I have breastfed all 3 of mine and am still bfeeding my 13 month old. The first 2 didn't regain their birth weight until 5 1/2 weeks old although this lo did better at 4 1/2 weeks. I had problems with the doctors who tried to force me to give formula with my first but it has been easier with the last 2 because I could show them my oldest who is big and healthy now and top of his class despite putting on weight so slowly with breastfeeding.
    I have some experience with breastfeeding and have seen two breastfeeding mums with babies below the bottom centile who have carried on and their babies have been fine. I guess some of us just make less milk. With my last 2 I fed more frequently from both sides and expressed so topped up with expressed milk by cup feeding at the beginning (but only for a few feeds this time).
    My advice to you would be to find where the support is locally before your next one arrives (either breastfeeding counsellor or support group) and get as much help as you can so that you can carry on feeding for as long as you want. I'm happy to give you as much reassurance and support as you need too. xx