Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Expressing for all feeds?!

Since my baby is still on a breastfeeding strike I am now expressing for all feeds after he is only taking a few sucks and then pulling off screaming. I've tried everything to lure him back and I think I will have to admit defeat soon and stop trying as its not great fun for either of us!! Does anyone express for all feeds?? I'm wondering how you go about it as it seems to be taking over our entire days and I want him to get to 6 months solely on breastmilk if we can. I'm hoping it will get easier when he is weaned as he won't need quite so much but any ideas for the next 2 months?!!

Replies

• I've never done this myself, but have youtried nipple shields to see if that's any better?
  • Hi

I am pretty much doing this as I found breast feeding so painful despite getting lots of help. I usually express around the same time that my ds has a bottle and this seems to be working well. It has given me time to let my nipples heal and also gives my hubby chance to be part of the feeding too which he loves. I am now finding that I am able to properly breast feed a couple of times a day and hoping as I get better at it this will increase. I have bought an electric pump to speed things up but I am now looking at a double one to speed things up even further.

xx
  • Thanks girls. Think I may have to hire a double one as this pumping is taking over my life!!!

I tried nipple shields but he cottoned on after a few minutes! x
  • hi, I've been ebf for 14 weeks for prem twins, I've dual pumped from about day 2 and rent the medela symphony.
    It took over my life for a bit as I was pumping every 3 hours but have gradually moved it to every 6 hours which works for us all.
    stick at it and well done you!