Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Ouch!

Hi ladies

Lyvi has taken to sucking her thumb but usually only to settle to sleep for a couple of minutes. However, the last few days she has done nothing but suck on her thumb, my hand whilst in the swimming pool, her clothes and generally anything she can put in her mouth! Then today whilst feeding she clamped down on my nipple and dragged it through her gums! Poor nipple went white :lol:

Anyway, do you think this could be the start of teething? Or at least them moving in her gums? She's 4 months old.

She also tries to get her thumb/hand in her mouth WHILST feeding lately!

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

Replies

• hi Nik

This is exactly what Cara has been doing for the last several weeks. it takes so much effort to pull her fist out of her mouth in order to get the nipple in!!!

A friend of mine suggested that she might be ready for some food, so I tried some puree, and she absolutely loved it! This was a few days ago, and we are going to stick with giving her one portion of puree per day. she also has a breast feed after though.

im not sure about your opinion on giving puree so young. i wanted to keep soley to milk for 6 months, but Cara just seemed ready.

lisa x
  • Sam started teething at around 4 months so it's definitely possible, and sounds like this is the case for your LO.

I personally would disagree that it's a sign to start solids. If it's teething, then try a bit of bonjela before feeding. It might just be that she's discovering her hands - and is becoming a thumb sucker (which I find quite cute!). Can't help with the nipple biting, though I have been there and it's horrible isn't it?! Think yourself lucky she has no teeth yet - Sam has 4 now and I live in fear of him biting my nipple right off! :lol:

xx
  • I agree with Coco although I have a Calgel baby. Elana started doing this with teething around 16 weeks, she has done it with her 2 teeth twice and my word it hurt.

Calgel or Bonjela 10 mins before a feed worked for us and really helped with pulling on and off that's often associated with BFing babies teething.

xxxx
  • Eddison is nearly 19wks and has recently started clamping his gums down on my nips while feeding. Owwww! He's also a thumb/fist/finger sucker and will often come off boob to suck thumb and then latch back again (which is preferable to mashing my nips, LOL).
    I use Ashton & Parsons powders 3 times a day and this calms him down.

Liz & Eddison, 18+5wks
  • At four months baby could certainly be starting teething (mine started dribbling more, got rosy cheeks and chewed everything they could get their little hands on.

Also like lisaleigh said, some babies are ready for solids by this time, my little boy started on very watery baby rice at 10 weeks because he couldn't keep any milk down (mine or formula), he was just THAT hungry lol
  • I'm not necessarily against early weaning but NattyNik hasn't said anything in her post about her baby showing signs of needing this has she? Or am I missing something? (I often am - haha!)
  • Hi Nik, Sasha has done this a couple of times too - so painful i cried out one time and startled her! She has been sucking her fingers loads too and dribbling loads, occasionally has had rosy cheeks and people keep saying that they think she is teething but there is no sign of any yet.

I know from your other posts that you are not considering early weaning and neither are we to be honest. I wish she would take a dummy sometimes though as she quite often just wants to suck on my fingers.
  • Hi ladies

Thank you all for your replies. I will try something on her gums before feeding. She's not doing it at each feed just occasionally but she's definitely got something going on in there as she has her hand stuffed in her mouth for most of the day lately!

Personally I'm not a fan of early weaning (obviously unless absolutely necessary and advised by a Dr) and I don't feel that Lyvi is ready for solids at all yet.

Thanks again!

Love NN and Olyvia xxx