Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

breast shields?

I was wondering if any of you ladies used them? i have flat nipples and have bought the medela swing pump incase i cant get baby to latch on [couldnt with dd] and i want to give breast milk if i can and have heard about breast shields and how they help, was wondering what they are and how do you use them cause i tried to google them but there isnt much info. Any advice would be great. x
PS i was also wondering if anyone used nipple protectors and what is the differance between them and the breast shields? x

Replies

• hi, hun, i in the same boat.. i have flat nipples and regan wont latch on hes only 4 days old so still trying to get him but since yesterday iv been using nippel shields and there brill! you just put them on ur nipples and baby sucks and milk flows through(once your milks in) its just the same as bf but with a pretend nipple lol... i also have to squeese a bit of milk into the sheild coz i have a ery lazy baby and he wont suck for the milk to flow through straight away lol xxx
  • thats great to know, thank you, i hope Regan is doing well. xxxx
  • Hi there, i used breast shields the whole time i fed my son Evan as he always had trouble latching on, they are fabulous, also helpful if your nipples are sore. The health visitors don't recommend you using them all the time as they think the babies don't get as much milk but thats rubbish as Evan did really well with them and always got lots of milk, i would definatley recommend them and in a way because they are teat shaped they are no dissimilar to a bottle which is helpful for when you go on to a bottle too!! xx