Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

baby losing weight - stopped supplementing

Hi there, I hope someone can give some advise...sorry its a long story.

My LO was born on October, 7 weeks old at the moment. Was 7lb 7oz He was late and had a complicated labour.. He had to be taken to the NICU unit as when he was born he did not breathe for the first 8 mins. He was there for the first few days in intensive care, but we both came home 5 days later.

My milk was slow to come in, but I breastfed at first with formula top ups, then stopped to encourage more milk. Baby was then losing weight so was told to give him 2oz of formula/EBM at each feed. A fortnight ago was advise no longer need to give the formula as he was only takiing 1 oz at each feed, most of which was coming back up.

So, have now for a week solely breastfed, but I am worried he is losing weight. His tummy is a lot smaller, but he is happy, plenty of wet nappies and he is active. Yet to have a dirty one (its been a week), but heard this is not unheard of with BF babies.

He's constantly more hungry this week and am worried that at the next weigh in I will be told he will need formula top up again. It was hard enough weaning him off the formula the first 2 times, and I know breastfed babies are slower to put weight on.

Am worried that I am not producing enough, and he is not puttig weight on. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Replies

• try not to worry, I know that's hard with the start you've had but if he's happy then it sounds like he's getting enough, feeding from only one breast each feed is a good idea to make sure he is getting enough hind milk which is the richer milk.

if he has lost weight make sure you tell them that he does seem happy and settled and they can only advise you to top up with formula, have you tried expressing milk? you could always express maybe once from each breast per day (find a time between feeds where you've got at least and hour or two before the next feed) this could help to increase your supply if you think its necesary