Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Let Down Reflex..baby chokes every time. HELP!!!

Hi
this is my 5th baby but only 3rd to be BF. She was 5 weeks prem and though bf going very well she chokes every time my milk comes in. she really chokes and takes few mins to settle and get her breath and then she full of wind. I feel really bad but cant control my let down can i??? Want to bf as think its best for baby and other than that I find it very easy to do.

Anyone had this.

thanx

Replies

• My daughter used to choke a little when my milk came through, but it did seem to sort itself out. Either she learnt to deal with it or my milk flow regulated itself, I really don't know. However in the meantime, could you try expressing a little milk before feeding her, just so you get over the initial let down reflex. Either use a pump if you've got one, or express manually. Given time she might get used to it and things might sort themselves out, but I know it's alarming when you see them cough and splutter.
  • Hi dee dee!
    I'm experiencing the same thing with Daniel. He's 19 days old now and when he first starts feeding he really struggles. The milk is definitely coming in too fast for him and he starts coughing and choking. Then he gets frustrated and starts crying because he's hungry. I'm hoping it will get better - i'm sure it will. Good luck with your lo. Love Rachel XXX
  • Hi, this happened to me & my LO - scares you to death doesn't it?! I mentioned it to all my HV's/midwifes & they all said he would get used to it & he did...I had a superfast milk flow, when he came off during feeds milk would shoot everywhere!
    One thing I got told was to try and feed lying down as this is supposed to stop it shooting out so fast although I did find this very hard to do when he was very little so I tried with me lying down and him on top but that was just as hard.
    I was also advised to not drink as much...as I was drinking a glass of water at every feed & clearly it wasn't needed as I had milk in abundance.
    They will get used to it, good luck.
  • You could try leaning back a little while feeding, just until your LO is a bit bigger and stronger. If the flow has to work against gravity it wont be quite so fast.
  • When I feed the milk comes out of Thomas' nose. The hospital has told me that this is due to the speed of the letdown. They suggested the following options
    1) Put the baby in an upright position when feeding
    2) lie down to feed
    3) express before feeding
    4) hold the areola for a few minutes after the baby is attached (this will slow down the milk flow)
    They also said that if the baby is not distressed then I could do nothing, as the baby will learn how to regulate the flow by using different sucking techniques