Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Last feed of formula...

Hi my hv advised me to give a bottle at last feed to help sleep but i have tried this before and lo will only take 2floz max i think this is because i feed on demand and she must only snack when bf she is 19wks i was just wondering if any of you had tried it and how much will lo take? i dont think it will work also how much do you think my lo gets at last feed as i give her a half hour feed give or take before bed
thanks
take care
Lin

Replies

• Hi if lo is only taking 2oz then she probably doesn't really need it and is getting as much as she needs from you. What time is her last feed? and how does she usually sleep during the night?

At that age my lo was going to bed at about 7.30 then I was still waking her at 10pm ish for a quick feed before I went to sleep. I carried on until she was 10 months even though she probably didn't need it by then but it worked because she slept through until 7 ish.

I think it is a bit of a myth that if you top up at night they will sleep better if a baby is fed on demand they will get all they need and breastfed babies usually take longer to sleep through anyway but your hard work and patience (and lack of sleep for a bit longer) is obviously a great benefit for her.
    The only thing I will say is that if you have been rushing around all day you will have less milk at night but by 19 weeks your supply will have regulated anyway so it doesn't affect it as much as the early weeks. Hope that helps x
  • Hi im in the process of moving bedtime forward as she used to go to bed when i did now i take her up for her quiet feed at 10:30pm and shes usually asleep by 11:15pm then she can wake anytime from about 3:30am for a feed then again around 6am she does have lazy mornings and has feeds then goes back to sleep and doesnt seem ready to start the day till 11am im hoping this will change as her bedtime gets earlier so she will get up earlier im trying to get her in bed by 9pm maybe 8:30pm but it will be out an hour after the clocks change anyway.but if she goes to bed early wont that mean she will be waking more often in the night for feeds?thanks
    Lin