Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dropping feeds altogther?

After 4 months of feeding on demand, we wanted to get DD into a better routine as she had a lot of sleep issues. I started feeding her on a schedule too, starting at 3 hourly intervals (as she had got used to snacking!) and stretching it by 15 mins every few days, with the aim of getting to a four hour cycle by the end of this week.

When we got to 3.75 hours between feeds last week, we dropped one as the last 2 of the day were then at the same time. The first feed depends on when she wakes up, but is usually between 7-7.30am. So the routine for the last few days has been feeds at about 7am, 10.45am, 2pm, 6.15pm, dream feed at 10.30pm and then she wakes once at about 3am.

Last night she slept through and whilst I'm not complaining image I am worried that she's gone from 7 feeds to 5 a day in just 4 days. I guess she would tell me if she's hungry? We did introduce some baby rice 2 days ago but it was just a teaspoon so shouldn't have affected her appetite.

How often do your babies feed? She is 21 weeks now and still EBF.

Replies

• Toby was still feeding every 3 hours in the day and 4-5 hours at night until he was about 6 months old, although he went through a brief phase of going four hours in the day when he was about 4 months old. He is really big though - has always been 91st centile for weight and 75th for height.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. As you say, she will tell you if she's hungry. She has probably become a lot more efficient with her feeding and although you can't see it she will be taking more at each feed so her overall intake may not in fact have changed. I remember Toby's feed times suddenly dropping dramatically at about the same age. If you're worried just keep an eye on her weight over the next couple of weeks, that's your best guide to whether or not she's getting enough. As long as she's gaining weight and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies all is well.

And yay for sleeping through and you getting a good night's sleep image
  • My little girl is 17wks and at 12wks started to go 4 hrs between feeds so dropped down to 5 feeds. Occasionally she only has 4 as she doesnt really wake for her 10pm feed!!
    I would go with it for now and keep an eye on her weight. I reckon if you have started baby rice too then im sure she is ok X
  • Hi, just wanted to mention something ive been told recently at my support group.
    Babies dont generally refuse milk, so if its there they will take it. It may be that she didnt necessarily need those extra feeds but becuase they were offered, it became habit??
    Hayden was waking in the night during a growth spurt but carried on waking every 2-3 hours out of habit and i thought he was hungry so offered him boob (obviously he fed) but we're trying to break the habit now with my hubby getting up to comfort him and put him back down in the night and its working up to now.
    Is she looking ready to wean/weight wise etc?? We started to wean at 19weeks (naughty parents!!) xx