Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Should we cut out this feed?

Hi, was hoping for some more of your great advice. My lo is 10 months , on 3 bfs a day and I'm wondering if we can drop the morning feed. He seems quite desperate to have his milk but once he's latched on hardly seems to take that much but plays around alot, trying to sit up with my nipple in his mouth! I also feel his teeth alot at this feed although he doesn't actually bite me. The afternoon and evening feeds are fine but I think he's generally quite sleepy and relaxed then as he has these just before going to bed. Do you think it sounds like he's ready to drop the morning feed and go straight to his breakfast?
Would 2 milk feeds a day be enough at his age?

I'm also a little worried that there might be selfish reasons playing a part as I would really like him to drop this feed. I'm pregnant and feeling really tired and it would mean my oh would be able to get up with him in the morning and I could have a lie in until he goes to work! That sounds awful! I want to do whats best for him at the end of the day.

Any advice appreciated. x

Replies

• Options
    Hi if he isn't that bothered about the morning feed you could probably drop it especially as you are pregnant and the extra rest will do you good but he does still need more than 2 milk feeds a day. It is a shame he isn't quite a year as you could then just give him some cows milk in a beaker in the morning with his breakfast or when he wakes then carry on with the 2 breastfeeds. I guess if you are going to drop a feed you will have to consider replacing it with formula for the next couple of months until he is a year. The other option is just to put loads of cows milk on his cereal, make sauces and puddings with lots of milk in and just make sure he has enough milk that way. Cheese sauce and rice pudding only take minutes to make and would be a suitable replacement.
    Just remember that your best supply of breastmilk is in the morning so if you drop that feed your supply might go down. xx
  • Options
    Thanks arg. I did leave out his feed this morning. My oh looked after lo and apparently he didn't notice and was happy as larry! My breasts felt much fuller than I expected which makes me wonder if he was taking more than I thought, so of course I'm now doubting it was the right thing to do. I think if I continue with just the two feeds (as you say it's not really enough) I would rather make it up in the food. He loves cauliflower cheese so that would be a good one. Ashamed to say I don't know how to make rice pudding but will look that one up.

Do you happen to know if he could have cows milk from a cup any earlier than a year? I'm confused as to why it's ok to give babies who wean themselves off breastmilk early (and don't have formula) lot's of cows milk in food but not in a cup? Sorry if it's blaringly obvious!

Thanks again, hope you and lo's are well. x
  • Options
    I think he would probably be ok with cows milk in a cup. Millie weaned herself at 10 1/2 months and the hv told me it was ok to give her cows milk as she was so close to being a year old. As it happened she wouldn't drink that either but if he likes it I think it would be ok.
    xx