Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

supply problem?

I'm after some advice please!

Beth is 18 weeks, for the last few weeks she's been very slow at gaining weight and has slipped from the 25th to 9th percentile. She's had a cold and a few teething pains so haven't really been worried about it. But the last couple of days she's been fussing at the boob a little, so tonight I offered her some ebm after her normal night time feed. She took nearly 4 oz! image So now I'm feeling really guilty in case she's been going hungry all this time.

Do you think this sounds like a problem with my milk? and if so, what should I do? My current plan is to focus on getting food, drink and sleep for myself, express after every feed and also offer her extra after each feed. Does that sound reasonable? Has anyone else experienced this and got back on track? I really don't want to give up bfing :cry:

Sorry for all the questions!

Replies

• 18 weeks is prime time for another of the dreaded growth spurts - and instead of putting weight on with this one she could be growing in length, or making a million connections in her brain or learning how to do something.....

it doesnt sound like a supply problem per se, as she doesnt seem unsettled in other ways....?

What you're planning sounds good for now, and if it doesnt get better within a week or so maybe you could start thinking about possible weaning....... ?

xxxx
  • SOunds very similar to what I went went through with my lo at this age. He lost weight at around 4 months then despite me doing everything I could (including feeding him every 2 hours) he was only putting on 2 oz a week. In the end I started weaning him at about 22 weeks and his weight gain rocketed. At 7 months he is still putting on about 6oz a week and still loving his bf.

You sound as if you are doing everything right. If you are getting milk when you express then you obviously making enough milk. I was getting about half an ounce in 20 minutes when I tried at this age. As you say, the cold and teething will affect her weight gain as well and she would let you know if she was hungry all the time. Oh, and bf baby's weight starts to decrease at 4 months compared to bottlefed as well.

You are doing a great job, hope her weight gain improves, xxx
  • Thanks for the replies and reassurance! I was hoping to wait till 6 months for weaning, but if she hasn't put on much by the next weigh-in I will certainly give it more thought.

I'm not getting a lot of milk at all when I express, maybe an ounce or two at best... but on the other hand I have offered her ebm after feeds today and she hasn't taken it. Also, as you say Stephe, she isn't unsettled- she's always been a smiley contented baby and certainly isn't screaming as if she's still hungry after a feed. I guess it's just one of those things, hopefully it will start to pick up soon.
  • If youa re getting an ounce or 2 after a feed it means there is still plenty there if lo was to want it! It sounds like you are doing well and the supply is there so just stick at it! As you say she is not screaming or starving for extra feeds so you are doing something right!!! image
  • Teagan also lost weight this week too (she is 16 1/2 weeks) and has dropped from 25th to 9th centile. She too has had a cold and is teething, but because she is only fed EBM I can see what she is taking. Normally she is 5 x 5oz a day, lately she's been anything from 1-6oz a time, mostly 2oz or 3oz and fussing as she takes it. They do say it's harder work taking from the breast than a bottle, maybe sometimes it's hurting her gums when she takes milk?
  • Well I had Beth weighed today and she has put on nearly 6oz in a week, so much better than previously. I have been expressing like mad (3 or 4 times a day). Not getting a lot at all, but hopefully it is helping to boost my supply a little. I am getting so fed up of it though- Colligreen I have so much respect for you, feeding Teagan on EBM, I really don't think I could have done that!
  • Lol, thanks Poz, there are 2 reasons I'm still expressing - I'm tight and stubborn! Can't see the point wasting money on formula when I have perfectly good (better in fact!) milk on tap and I'm still p'ed off with my body for not coping with BF!! Teagan gets weighed tomorrow, I'm hoping she's put on a fair bit, she;s had a better week with a few days of Infant Gaviscon (until it made her constipated) and some feeds of baby rice. I know it's still a bit early for her but she enjoys it, so much happier when she's got a full belly.

6oz is a good gain, have you been given the chart for BF babies? It annoys me that they automatically put a FF chart in the little red books. When I went to the doctors about the reflux, she said have you tried changing her formula? HELLO? How about I'm might actually still be giving my baby the milky goodness that you pushed so much before she was born, but now you forget existed! You can probably tell it winds me up! Off my soapbox now lol

Corinna x
  • lol, I know exactly what you mean about the docs and hvs- they push bfing to start with but then they ask when you're planning to move on to formula, or assume you're already on it! I take the same attitude as you- why pay for what you can provide yourself?

Yeah, I've had a look at the bf charts on the WHO site, Beth has still slipped down a little compared to those charts but nowhere near as much as the red book ones- so that made me feel better.

I hope Teagan's weigh-in goes well tomorrow, let us know how she's doing!
  • So chuffed this week, she's put on 10oz so up to 12lb 6oz now (17.5 weeks) She's been drinking loads and she's also on a small amount of baby rice each day now and much happier for it (me too!).

I got my HV to give me the correct graph for a BF baby this week and she's much more consistent on this chart for her weight gain, I wish I'd had the graph from the start!

How are you getting on Poz, has feeding settled down again now?

Corinna x
  • Glad to hear that she's doing well, 10oz is a great gain! Looks as though she's making up for lost time after her cold.

Things seem to be getting better with Beth, she's still fussing at some feeds but I've been feeling a bit fuller, so I'm pretty sure that all the expressing has worked. I'm away for Christmas so it'll be 2 weeks until the next weigh-in- I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a good gain. Oh, and I'm using the whole supply issue to eat as much as I want over the holiday!