Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

My Daughter is a Dyson!! :lol:

I need Help!

She is only 2 days old, & untill last night she solely breast fed, but I gave her 1 oz of formular last night as my nipples are bruise, swollen, cracked, bleeding and really sore - right after I had her she fed for well over an hour, then that night she fed solidly from 10pm till 7am moving from one boob to the other! Then wanted more!

She is getting some out cause I can hear her swollowing it and has had 6 dirsty and wet nappies so i'm not worried about that.. but i'm just finding it really hard to carry on as she wants to feed for so long, and has such a strong suck i'm not getting time to heal!

I think she is laching alright - it's painful for the first min then starts to be alright (well apart from being sore & my womb contracting) but ive showed the midwives and they've watched and said she is laching well but is strong and hungry! She was 8.10lbs at birth and the midwife said to make her a bottle at bedtime to give me some time to recover when she seen my nipples - i'm not sure if i'm being used as a dummy either?

not sure what i'm really asking girls - i just need some help!

Sent OH to get some pain killers and lanisol! x

Replies

• Oh this sounds sooooooo familiar, Barney was EXACTLY the same, he didn't even have a nappy on untill he was over an hour old as he was too busy stuffing his face! He sucked so hard that he actually drew a blister on one side! The good news is that all this very hard sucking will mean that when your milk comes in (probably tomorrow) you will have gallons of the stuff. You'll probably find as well that once your milk has come in she won't feed for nearly as long, or as often, as she will be getting more, and then it will be much easier for you nipples to heal. The lanisoh is fantastic stuff and really helps, I also used to have a bath with lavender oil at least once a day, this was mostly to help my stitches heal, but I used to make sure my nipples got a good dunk as well to help them. If you can hun, try and stay with it for another day or two, I know it's exhausting, but I think it will get much easier once your milk comes in properly. She is absolutely gorgeous by the way, and you look fab for someone that only just had a baby! image
    xx
  • congrats!
    keep at it hun, its so early days and she will suck hard to get the colostrum through cos its thick. like bh says, once she's getting the real milk, she wont suck so hard and more time between feeds will help your nipples heal. they may stay sore for a while yet, and thats ok as long as your latch is right so dont worry, just slap the lansinoh on!! i also did the lavender bath everyday, just lay in it on my front!!
    you're doing fab so keep it up, dont stress about the requency of feeding it is normal, my lo fed all night the night she was born, and used to feed all evening up til about 8 weeks!
    perseverence will pay off in the end xxxx
  • Hiya love, I won't try and give advice coz you know I'm still a novice myself! She will ease up on the sucking once your milk is more established. I know it bloody hurts though, I still have two purple blisters on each nipple! Also try and and air your boobies as much as you can. I find having no bra or top on for a while is bliss and really helps to ease them heal quicker.

Cat xxx
  • :lol: cat the kids are back at school (we live next door to a secondary school) there play ground gate gives a perfect view int our living room - me walking around semi naked might not go down too well (or maybe a bit TOO well depending on see's me! :lol: ) can't take loose clothing brushing them so better in a bra!

I got some pain relief from the hospital today which has helpped, & midwife told me about that baseball/rugby postion which is fab, & got that nipple cream, Ive started using a dummy with her which is helpping a bit - but she really cries a lot poor lamb hopefully my milk will sooth her more.... midwife told me to get some ginnuess - so sent OH out for that.. going to 'try' and drink it in a bit!

She is getting bad wind - which I didn't think was meant to happen with breast fed babies? Was thinking of trying her on that infacol - hate to think of her having a pain! .. any more tips ladies.. trying to let her cluster feed this evening to help her (& me) thru tonight!

Having said all this defo think this BFing is helping with bonding, i'm starting to feel really close with her! x