Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mastitis

I saw the out of hours Dr earlier who diagnosed me with mastitis, caused by an infected nipple. He's put me on a course of antibiotics and as he said I was very pale he also put me on iron tablets.

My baby is 6 days old and feeds about every 3 hours, so when she's feeding from the right hand side I make sure she clears it and I have also been expressing afterwards to make sure there's nothing left in that breast.

Does anyone have any tips to help clear it? I don't really have very leaky boobs so going in a hot bath to get them flowing to massage them, like some people suggest, doesn't really work as they don't leak in a hot bath.

Thanks
Kat & Sophie xx
6 days old

Replies

• Hi hun,
    I bet your feeling pretty dreadful unless the antibiotics have kicked in. Hope your ok. It does get better. I've had it twice before and the best thing is to get the antibiotics which you've done. Here's a few tips to help you through it:

1.Clear as much milk off the breast as possible, feed baby from the sore one first and if possible but her chin to the part thats red. Hand express as much as you can, either in a warm bath or shower or with a warm flannel on.

2. Alternate ice packs and warm towels

3. Take paracetamol and get lots of rest - you must keep feeding though even though it hurts, otherwise you'll become engorged and it will make things worse.

4. Savoy cabbage leaves in your bra help (i know its daft telling you this at 11pm on a saturday night but maybe you have one lying around!?)

5. A supportive bra with fresh breast pads in - not too tight though

Hope this helps. xxx
  • oh big hugs, mastitis is truly awful, I've had it 5 times in 3 months, now a week and a half antibiotics so fingers crossed. You've already had great advice but I find my boobs leak AFTER i come out the shower and can express well at this time. Maybe give it a go? Hope you get better soon, its such a horrible thing xx