Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Constipation - me!!

Argh image I'm taking iron 3 times a day to recover my blood loss which I know can cause constipation and I'm BF which can also bung you up abit as you lose fluid..... I'm having abit of trouble!

Any tips or advice for me? I think I'm drinking plenty, and I'm eating a good diet of fruit, veg and red meat so I'm not sure where to go from here. Lactulose won't affect Faye will it?

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, I'd possibly cut out the red meat as that can bung you up too & go for other iron rich foods such as avacados, dark green veggies, and white meat & fish for protein. It's a hard one as dairy products and meat can really make constipation worse BUT they are good sources of nutrition.

I was quite constipated after my lo - it did pass (sorry for the appalling pun there). You could try prunes or prune juice, its supposed to be pretty good, lol.

I think lactulose is fine to take btw, as it is often prescribed for v young babies. Check with midwife tho x
  • Options
    yeah lactolose is fine babe although tbh not helping me much.... but im abit weird lol xxx
  • Options
    Do you eat cereal on a morning? I try to have a bowl of high fibre cereal every morning (wetabix or shreddies normally) which i started when i came home from the hospital after i'd had Lucy as i lost a fair amount of blood at the birth and was on 3 iron tablets a day too. They are high in fibre and also high in iron. Another thing would be to try and have a little bit of fresh orange juice with your meals/iron tablets as it actually helps your body absorb the iron more readily. Hope this helps x