Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Decisions

Hi,

I've just popped over from the pregnany section for some advice.

I really want to breastfeed - I'm a great believer in 'thats what they're there for' but I'm feeling at the mo like it's a really unpopular choice with most people, I've had so many people trying to talk me out of it with horror stories and stuff.

Is it worth it? - I think is what I really want to know.... or is it as difficult, messy and painfull as everyone keeps telling me it is?

Replies

• It is definately worth it. Personally I found it difficult and slightly painful for the first couple of weeks while we got used to it and then it was the easiest thing in the world. I had no problems with it being messy, I did leak a bit for the first few weeks but that was easily solved with breastpads and stopped pretty quickly.

If you want to breastfeed then don't let anyone talk you out of trying, it is your desicion. I think that sometimes you only hear negative veiws on bf because if you try and tell people the positives you often get shot down in flames and labelled a breast feeding nazi!
  • going to say something a bit controvertial but i have foung that the mums who didn't succed with bf were the worste !! they were s negative it was almost as if they were saying "if i cant do it you wont do it "!!! think they are just jelous ! give it a go see how you feel it was a bit sore for me as my nipples aren't great but shields help and i fed my son for 11 months and on 7 months almost with my daughter i never leaked and it is so convenient as i always have milk at the right temp no messing around with warming milk when out or in the middle of the night .good luck babe and we are always here to enourage and support you
    fea x
  • Hey hun, i agree with bedhead it is definately worth doing if you stick with it. You may find it difficult or painful to start with but thats mainly down to it being new, with practice it will become easier. I myself didnt have this experience, in the first week i had 1 nipple that got a little sore but that was all. We are all different and our bodies react differently.
    I also agree with highlandfea in that those who couldnt do it themselves think no-one else can. There was loads of people while i was pregnant tried to put me off with the comments like "i didnt make enough milk, so its impossible to breastfeed" and "i couldnt do it so id be suprised if you stick with it". I ignored all these comments and am glad i did, my daughter is 5 months and i will continue to breastfeed her till i think its time to give up.
    At the end of the day the decision is up to you, and whatever anyone else says should not matter its whats best for you and baby that matters.
    Try it out and see what suits you, if you dont like it you can always switch to bottle.
    Caz x x
  • I agree with everyone- if you can stick out the first couple of weeks it reslly gets very easy. I find it so much easier just lifting my top up than serilising bottles and making them up! Definately worth it!!! Take it a day at a time, thats what I decided to do and not my LO is 4 weeks old and I'm loving it!!! It's not messy or sore and I don't leak that bad, only change my pads twice a day. Go for it girl!
  • Hi I have breastfed all 3 of mine and am still feeding my 1 year old 4/5 times a day. I had every problem going with my first 2 (but that doesn't mean everyone has to have problems - my boys both had tongue tie which wasn't diagnosed and usually makes breastfeeding more difficult)and was also disappointed to be sore at the start with this lo but I really wanted to breastfeed and am so pleased that I persevered. It is great breastfeeding and I am really proud that my children have all been breastfed.
    It is great that you want to and I really hope you do. Try to find out about support that is available for you before lo arrives then if you need any help you know where to get it. Also surrounding yourself with other breastfeeders is the best way to keep going as you will have support so see if there are any bf support groups locally. It is even worth going to one whilst still pregnant - I'm sure the mums there will be happy to support you.
    If you can, it really is the best thing for you and lo to breastfeed. xx
  • Hi - I have bf my 3rd daughter having bottle fed my 1st 2 and have found it to be a really positive experience. Yes, I've had sore nipples and a blocked duct but nothing matters when they break off mid feed and look up at you with a big grin on their face!!
    I tried to feed my 1st, it didn't work so when I had my 2nd I thought that I couldn't do it, but when I had my 3rd I thought I would try again and it worked. It's obviously a lot a cheaper than bottle feeding and a lot less time consuming -making bottles etc.
    I would say if its what you want to do then try it, don't listen to anyone either way as it is your decision at the end of the day - good luck.
    Sam xx
  • It is sooooo worth it.

dont listen to all the bottle feeding nazis! :lol: (sorry i had to ! he he he)

I dont mind being a bf nazi, i will tell you all the good bits, infact theres a thread I'll bump for you to read the responses.

it is truly the best thing for you and baby and such a wonderful thing to do. the look on baby's face when theyre feeding, the pride in all the weight gain you help them have, the cheapness (!) of it all is a big bonus!

we dont often tell the good bits because we do get told were all pushing bf too much (never enough in my opinion, but im an opinionated cow! :lol: ) but formula whilst doing its best, is not specifically tailored to suit your babys needs at the time, whereas bmilk changes constantly for your baby. Theres no hassle with bottles (unless you express to go out for a bit) and no stress once youre past the first few weeks.

it can be difficult at first, and also when they have their first growth spurt, but it gets easier with practice.

ultimately tho, its your choice, and you need to do whats right for you, nobody else.

if people have aproblem with you bf tell them to p!ss off and leave you to it.

all the best image

xxxxxxx