Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much milk for a 4 wk old?

Hi ladies
I've started expressing the odd bottle fo LO. Last night I gave him 2oz but he was still hungry and had a whole breast too! Shall I express 4oz and c how he goes on that? I've heard to average the number of feeds in 24 hrs then divide by 25 is this right?thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Hello,

That's good news that he is taking the bottle!

I seem to remember lo would drink around 3-6 oz from the bottle at her 10.30pm feed at that age. Sometimes it would be 7 or 8, which would astound me!

So I would maybe offer 4/5 oz and if he drinks all that just keep offering him more (or the breast) until he is full.

I haven't heard of that calculation I'm afraid.

Not sure how helpful that is?!
  • Options
    A good rule that worked roughly for me is to take their weight in pounds, half it and offer them about that in ounces. So if he is 8 pounds, he should take about 4 ounces. Obviously some babies will be more or less hungry, but if you start there you can adjust it as necessary.

HTH
  • Options
    Hey PP - how's it going?

I can't figure out how much ds is taking/needs. Last night he cluster fed on and off for about an hour and 15mins (although I think he may have just been comfort sucking as I'm sure I don't have that much milk in one boob) and then 15 minutes later he had 1oz - followed by another oz. But then at his next feed (which happened to be at 3:30am) he only took 1.5oz. When I express I tend to get 3oz from one boob which seems to empty it - so I guess he can't be taking more than 3oz at one feed ...

Although saying that - the body weight rule seem to make sense - ds is 6lb14 and I guess he has about 3oz per feed if he emptys my boob ... maybe 3.5oz - I guess that works out about right with his body weight ...

Sorry if that doesn't help ...

K x