Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Expressed Breast Milk

I am expressing milk during the day for evening/night feeds. I was told by my health visitor that I can express milk and keep it in the fridge in a bottle - and then add to it each time I express (as long as it is used within 48 hours). If I have 2oz in a bottle, but ds only drinks 1oz - can I put the remaining oz back in the fridge and then use it at his next feed?

Replies

• I wouldn't if you've already heated it up, I'd throw it away and start again x
  • no, dont keep it if he's only drunk a bit as it will be contaminated with saliva and the air etc. once its been out for an hour throw it away. the key is just offer a couple of oz at first til you get used to how much he will take- cos you dont want to be throwing loads away!
  • I was told by a lactation consultant that you shouldn't add freshly expressed milk directly to milk already in the fridge, as the freshly expressed stuff will be a lot warmer.

You can put it in the fridge though and then add it to previously expressed milk once it's cooled.
  • I have been giving my lo ebm that was not finished at the previous feed. To me, every drop is like liquid gold(to quote my lactation consultant). She is quite erratic in how much she drinks, so I can never give her a bottle with the correct amount, and to give her less could mean giving several bottles until she is satisfied.

I go on kellymom.com for lots of tips, and came across this:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

So, I think the advice out there is varied, my lactation consultant said that it's ok, but some would disagree!

• don't keep any milk he's already fed from, the bacteria in baby's saliva will react with milk so if he leaves some throw it away, i know its a sod to throw away our hard work but really don't feed him his leftovers it can make him poorly xx