Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

alcohol and breastfeeding

im going on my first girly night out since having chloe and im not sure when i can resume feeding after. the artices iv red refer to a few drinks and not to get intoxicated. isnt that the idea? i can feel a big blow out coming on so i will probably get very drunk. could someone remind me of the rule of how many hours to how many units and is there a max time. if i do have quite a bit to drink do i really have to try and count the units or is there a max amount of time it will take i can just work from. also i have redyou dont need to pump and dump, you only need to pump to keep up supply or relieve pain. apparently this is coz it will just leave your milk as it leaves the blood stream. i feel sick thinking of leaving her, im worried she wont take her bottles for daddy or something. i really need to go for my sanity, my oh has hobbies and stuff but i dont and im compltly devoted to my little people so need a night with the girls to be me for one night instead of frumpy mummy covered in baby sick. have you girls had big night out yet, how was it?

sian

Replies

• I never got round to the big night out but I did read up on this just in case lol. Alcohol leaves you blood stream at the rate of approx 1 unit an hour, you don't need to pump and dump like you say the alcohol will be reabsorbed from your milk as well. I would say best bet is to work out what the most you might drink is and then allow that long before feeding again. Don't forget that you might find that you are so out of practise that after two shandies you are on the floor anyway!
    Have fun
    Kerry
  • it is an hour per unit to leave your system, but you also have to allow up to an hour for it to get into your system in the first place -

bear in mind when working out how much youre going to drink/have drunk that the old units were measured on slightly less alcohol in drinks so the new unit measures are:
    a 250ml glass of wine is 3 units,
    pint of lager is 2 1/2 units (strong lager like stella is 3 units)
    pint cider 3 units
    bitter is 2 units (3 if its 5% or over)
    25ml shot of spirits is 1 unit
    bottle usually tell you how many units there are in them

you only have to add the extra hour on once.

i had a very big night out - my hen night :lol: but i was ok to feed again by lunch time the next day.

i found that it took me a lot less to get drunk now as well

have a good night image
    xxx
  • My LO is 13 weeks tomorrow - I went out last Saturday for the first time and I didn't drink anything alcoholic. I found that I had a fantastic time anyway it was just such a thrill to be out! And I think I preferred it that way because if you don't drink then you know you can't make any mistakes with it.
    You don't need to be drunk to have a good time so I'd suggest sticking to non-alcoholic drinks.
    Oh, and I was worried about my LO not taking bottles too so I gave him a nice long feed and put him to bed, he was angel all night!