Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

some first-timer questions incl inverted nipples

hi im planning of bfing this time (didnt with first) and 6 weeks to go so i am really trying to get all the knowledge i can. so i have a few questions, sorry if it seems like a list (well it is sorry LOL)....

in hosptial: i am a bit shy about feeding baby in front of my visitors especially since ill just be learning..
(esp like my dad, hubbies dad etc) so what happens if baby needs fed during visiting hours?what did you do?am i just being silly?..i know ill have to stay in at least 2 days due to group b strep so thats why its a concern. lots of visiting times .

in order to have baby sleep longer at night could i give a bottle of formula last thing at night?or is that wrong thing to do?

ok this is the most embarrassing thing....i think i may have inverted nipples (altho im not sure) oh dear im gonna have to explain...they only stick out if im cold or during sex or whatever, not normally.( i dont know if thats normal or not since ive not seen anyone elses). do you think thatll be ok to feed baby.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

Replies

• Right, first question 1st lol
    If you aren't comfy feeding in front of your visitors then ask them to wait outside while you feed, the last thing you need when you are trying to get the hang of bf is people making you feel uncomfortable. If you warn them in advance that you will be bf and will want some privacy then I can't see them having a problem

You can give a bottle of formula at night but it is not neccesarily true that it will help them sleep for longer. Millie never had a bottle at all and sleeps better than any other toddler we know, and always has. If you do decide to give a bottle it is probably better to wait untill lo is about 4 weeks old (at least) to make sure that you have got breast feeding established as sometimes introducing a bottle early can make life difficult for you.

I'm not a nipple expert lol (shame oh isn't here, I know he considers himself an expert! lol) but I think you should be fine, I think it is only a problem if they never stick out.

Good luck with the breastfeeding, once you have got the hang of it it is soooo much easier than messing about with bottles and it will save you a fortune! (plus it is really nice to know when they are weighed that it is all down to you!)
    Kerry xx
  • Hi Laura, I did read up on flat or inverted nipples on the La leche league website, cos I'm the same as you, my nipples are completely flat unless cold...

Well apparently, if your nipples stick out when you're cold, then they actually aren't classed as "flat" at all and you should have no problems bf xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/Akv50/.png

• hi laura my nipples are exactly as you said and i am almost 7 months in to feeding Abby and fed my son for 11 months!! so you will be fine x i had to use nipple shields at first as both babies found it hard to pop them out and latch on but this was only for a wee while and no longer need them x
    ps the round "mexican hat " shields are better than the oblong maws ones
    fea x
  • hi thanks so much, im glad its still possible to feed. i think i will see how things go before gettting the shields (had thought about getting them as i saw you can try to "fix" your nipples before baby is born, but read some conflicting info too. thanks so much everyone x
  • hiya i to had that problem with nipples and had to use nipple shield to start with so i would by some just incase, your midwife will probably really against them but if its what it takes then use them just try to get rid as soon as. i also found it useful to sterilise the nipple shields in the little dummy sterilisers fior the microwave. im now a proud owner of outy nipples and havnt found it a problem this time. it might be worth playing with them a bit to get them to pop out before feeding there are even little machine things to do it so might be worth seeing how easy it is now. good luck
  • hi thanks everyone, dont mean to sound silly but so you have the shields on while you are feeding? (just cause you mentioned sterilising them). or could i get them just now and use them to stick out my nipples?or does baby actually such on the shield?
  • the shields are designed to help people with sore nipples really there a thin plastic that goes over the boob and has a sticky out bit over the nipple thats quite big. thats why they helped me coz my nipple wasnt out l/o couldnt latch on to anything so he could latch on to the plasticy bit and as he sucked my nipple would then come out. does that make sence? mv dont always like them coz it can cause nipple confusion and you have to try and get l/o on to an actually nipple as soon as but if you cant feed with out them then there worth ago. i brought some from mothercare this time just in case but didnt need them so i took them back. another option might be to use a breast pump just for a few seconds to help the nippleto stick out before latching them on. even if you have a problem which you probably wont it would only be a first while l/o is learning what to do.
  • I'm using nipple shields as have flat-ish nipples - thought I'd always have to use them. How long did you need them for as it would be a lot easier not having to faff around with sterilising in the middle of the night. Baby's 4 weeks old and I haven't tried again without shields since i discovered them.
  • hi davina2 i used sheilds for 4 months with my son when he sucked the sheild on and just latched on!!! we fed for 11 months in total with my daughter she used then for about 6 weeks then i was out for longer than i thougt i would be and hadn't taken any sheilds with me so i tried her with out and she just latched on as well!! give it a try with out every other feed see how baby goes
    fea x
  • hiya, i would just try now, theres no presure if it doesnt work but i would try regularly from now. you could let l/o start a feed to stimulate your nipple then take it of and latch him on. maybe try that a few times to get him used to the nipple first. i dont know if you saw my bit about a dummy steriliser box but it was life saver for nights, it sterilise 2 before bed and take the box to bed with them in it.
  • Hi,
    My nipples weren't as erect as other womans. I tried the nipplette but that made my nipples bleed and thus very sore. The la leche legue suggested breast shells, these are to be worn whilst pregnant to encourage the nipple to come out. These worked really well and I have used them since Thomas was born to catch any leaks.
    I bought my shells from amazon but you can get them for ??5 from boots