Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

I stopped bfing today :(

My lo is 15 months old and I gave him his last feed today. I feel incredibly sad about it mainly because he wanted to continue and my reasons for stopping are entirely selfish , I want to give my body a good rest before ttc number 2, I don't want to end up feeding a toddler and a newborn but mainly, I'm just not enjoying it anymore-I rush his feeds and I've just had enough of hauling my boobs in and out-I want them back!

I've adored breastfeeding, it's given us a wonderful bond and I have so many lovely memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I've given him the best start possible-he's hardly been ill at all since he was born. We've battled through 13 months of sleepless nights, he's never had a bottle-I did it all by myself-I had LOTS of unwanted opinions about that one!

Welldone me and welldone to all the other breastfeeding mummys out there-wether you feed for a day, a week, a month, a year or longer, give yourself a pat on the back! Xx

Replies

• Give YOURSELF a HUGE pat on the back! image You should be sooo proud of feeding your lo for so long and doing such a wonderful, wonderful job.

Reading your post is very inspiring and I really hope I can continue as long as you did (my baby girl is 6 months old today).

Love NN and Olyvia xxx
  • Thankyou! I have to say that breastfeeding changed so much after the first 6 months-it was just an absolute joy, once they're on 3 good meals a day it's all so much more relaxed-there's no urgency to the feeds, they're less frequent, we suddenly developed a fab routine based around meal times, he napped for longer and he started to sleep a little better at night too.

My lo's only on 1 feed a day now so I'm hoping he won't be too upset-hopfully a cup of cows milk, a biscuit and a cuddle will be a reasonable substitute!

I've actually decided in the last hour that while I will try to distract him when he wants a feed I'm not going to point blank refuse, if he REALLY wants it I'll let him (hubbie thinks I'm back tracking!) but I wonder if cold turkey is a little cruel! We'll see how this week goes but I don't want to upset him xx
  • well done p bob! i just typed a post v similar to yours before i read this one!
    I too feel a bit sad but after wanting to stop a couple of months ago, i kept going and telling my self i would stop next week, then the next until a couple of days ago, we had a lovely feed, dd fell asleep and i put her in her cot and thought, that was a lovely feed to be the last one. so its been 2 nights now with no bf and she has cried for it but soon gone to sleep!
    So my boobies are mine again now, i've fed 2 little girls and given them the best start. so for this i am proud like you!
    bf rocks!
    xx
  • Ah, well done p.bob. It is SUCH an emotional time when you decide to stop , but you have done such an amazing thing for your LO - you should be proud of yourself! xx
  • Oh dear-I'm still going! I just couldn't stand seeing his little face crumple when I said no! He looked heartbroken! I'm going to try again in a week, my hubbie has 2weeks of work so he'll be there to support me and distract lo!x
  • lol! WELL DONE P.BOB! image my lo is 8 months now and i still feed her every morning and every evening before bed. it will be so weird having my boobs fully back but my god these underwired bras are soooo bloody uncomfortable!!!