Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Should I stop?

Hi I've been feeding Riley mostly EBM and have noticed that he's been getting a rash/red spots on his face. At first I thought this was normal baby acne but now I'm not so sure as I fed him EBM earlier and the rash came up. On the next feed I fed him formula and it didn't come up.

So I've done a bit of googling and think it might be to do with him reacting to dairy products I eat. Another of the symptoms is sniffles and he has been sniffling recently but I thought it was a cold. So if I want to carry on expressing I should cut out all dairy products for two weeks and see if that helps. i just don't know how I'll be able to do it. I love my cups of teas with milk and toast with butter and can't imagine breakfast without them!

Then on the other hand I still want to give him EBM for at least a few more weeks/months as he was premature so I know it will be best for him. But if its bringing him out in a rash, giving him sniffles and making him gassy and unsettled is that really the best thing?

Has anyone else had experience with their lo's reacting to something in your milk?
What do you think I should do?
xxx

Replies

• I think that it is unlikely he is reacting to dairy in your diet, purely because formula is made from cows milk so if he had a dairy intolerance he would react to formula as well. It is possible he is reacting to something else you are eating but it is fairly uncommon for them to react that strongly. When my first was tiny she was sensitive to somethings in my diet, she used to get quite bad wind and was very uncomfortable with it. Off the top of my head she reacted to caffiene, even just a bit in chocolate or tea was enough to unsettle her, anything made of grapes, especially white wine, and chilli. There may have been other things but that's all I can think of now. If I were you I would try cutting out some of the things that commonly upset bfed babies before trying dairy free as it makes it harder for you to get enough calories if you are restricting your diet. Some of the things that bfing mums often have to avoid are garlic and onions, caffiene, green veg, and some friut, especially grapes. If I were you I would try and carry on with the ebm if you can as like you say it will give him the best start, alot of babies grow out of being windy at about 3 months old so you shouldn't have to change your diet for too long.
    Hope that helps
    Kerry xx
  • i too was gonna say it dosent sound like a dairy reaction as hes ok with formula which is made from cows milk.Have you spoken to your hv about it? xx
  • I never thought about that actually, that's what ya get for googling things!

I'm gonna see my hv tomorow so wil ask her about it then, although when I told her about the spots the first time she said they're probably just milk spots from the milk dribbling down, even though they were on his cheeks and even on his eyes!

He's been on aptimal for two days now and the spots/rash has totally gone. I've still been expressing in case I do go back to giving it to him. The only other thing I think it could be affecting him in my diet is tea as I drink a few cups a day. I'll see what the hv says anyway.
    xxx
  • Just had another thought but I wonder if it is baby acne, but made worse by the hormones in your milk? I know the hormones can affect them but I don't know if it would make acne worse or not?
    xx
  • if you are worried about tea then have you considered switching to decaf?i did this when i 1st had grace as i read that the caffeine can cause wind in babies and iv never looked back xx
  • if you are worried about tea then have you considered switching to decaf?i did this when i 1st had grace as i read that the caffeine can cause wind in babies and iv never looked back xx