Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

can breastfed babies get constipated??

hi girls,
i breastfeed my 6week old son but he seems really constipated. can breastfed babies get constipated? does anyone know how to help ease it or evan get rid of it? or help him poo? thanx, charlie xx

Replies

• Hi we went on holiday when my 3rd lo was 10 days old and she didn't poo for 7 days (exclusively breastfed). I was so stressed about it and obviously she should have been pooing more than that (my first 2 had dirty nappies after each feed). She did finally go after I took her to my osteopath who said she was fine (there wasn't much I could do at 16 days old to get her to go, tried massage etc but didn't want to give water and certainly not orange!). After that she went every 3-4 days and I just had to get used to her being like that. She wasn't in pain or constipated it was just her pattern.
    She is 14 months now, still breast fed and absolutely fine!
    Have you tried massage? Is you lo uncomfortable and is it hard when it comes out or is it just because he doesn't go much?
    Both my sister in laws boys are on lactulose for constipation (they were both mix fed though) but I would try to avoid going down that route if possible xx
  • no he still goes everyday but he always spends all day sqeezing really hard as if its impossible to get out! hes worse in the night. sometimes hes squeezing so hard that his face goes bright red and he does a really load screetch! iv tried massaging his tummy but it dosnt do anything coz hes usually wriggling around too much for it to work! thanx for the advice image xx
  • Mine still goes 6 to 8 times a day and is almost five months old! But with my elder one, she used to get constipated and I was advised boiled camomile lea cooled. Make sure it has no caffien though... they usually don't. Worked wonders... Also, clock-wise massage of the abdomen can help, especially if her's in pain.
  • hiya you drink fresh orange juice that will help xx