Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Big Boobs

Sorry for bombarding you with questions today.

One of my friends quite helpfully told me I will find breastfeeding really hard because I have big boobs. I have pretty substantial knockers, I was a 38FF/G (depending on brand!) pre-pregnancy, randomly the nursing bras I have got are only a 38E but the woman in mothercare said the brand I bought come up massive, either that or I have shrunk since I got pregnant.

I am worried I am going to a) be ridiculously sore and huge when my milk comes in and b) worried that I am going to have to hoick my boobs up to be able to feed comfortably.

Success stories from bigger boobed ladies would be hugely appreciated!!

Miss I
38 weeks today!

Replies

• Options
    Hey !!
    i dont know y u friend said that??
    wel my boobs are fairly big 36DD .. and i dont think their is any difference in feeding when u have big boobs or small boobs.
    if anything if maybe a bit easy .. but as in holding the baby ...because in the nights i used to lay on my side with my lo cuddled in and i was able to feed.. whereas a smaller boobied lady may not be able to .
    ull be fine !! I also had a c section and they say its quite unlikley the baby will latch on.
    but i was extremely lucky and after 40 mins of them stitching me up i came out of theatre and had skin to skin and my lo latched on straight away for 40mins !
    hopefully ull find it just as easy ... the main thing is make sure they are latched on right .
    i didnt realise how much boobie actually goes in their mouth.

i wasnt 100% determined on breastfeeding i didnt mind if it didnt work out. but maybe as i was pretty calm in trying she was so good !

afterwards i found if i was in front of ppl feeding o in public id get quite nervous and i honest think my lo could sense it cause she always used to mess about and not latch on haha
    but when i was calm we had no problems

lol... babbled a bit too much there sorry !! good luck xx
  • Options
    Hello!

I was a 30E pre pregnancy and now I am BF'ing I am a 32H.

I can honestly say that I don't think having bigger boobs has any impact on feeding at all - I certainly haven't found any problems relating to the size of my boobs!

There are loads of myths surrounding BF'ing and I think this may be one of them!

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

• Options
    NN how do you walk without falling over lol!

It is good to know that it won't be a problem! JoJo that is interesting that you find it more difficult when you are feeling stressed or uncomfortable. I am apprehensive about feeding in public, especially being bigger boobed I think it may be more difficult to do discreetly. If it suits us both I may express and bottle feed when we are out.

I have no idea why my friend said that to me, maybe because she struggled to feed and wanted to feel as if she is not the only one who finds it hard.
  • Options
    hey miss I, I'm not sure if this is the reason why or not, but i spoke to a mw once about boob size cos i've got quite small ones and i was worried this would afect my ability to bf, and she told me that soetimes if a lady has got massive boobs, she cant see quite so well what the baby is doing! By that i think she meant if your boobs are so huge you cant see your nipples too well to be able to latch lo on and see what s/he is doing it can be a bit harder in that respect, but not necessarily in the milk production or flow etc. i cant see how it would make much difference really as all babies are different anyway and they all have to learn how to do it. I'm sure you'll be fine! for your other q about breast pads, i dont think i took any into hosp, my milk took 5 days to come in so i didnt need any!
  • Options
    I'm normally a 34F and find that my LO sometimes has problems latching on when my breasts are engorged. Don't know if that's because they are big in size or if this happens with all sizes when they get engorged. Certainly doesn't affect my milk supply xx
  • Options
    NN how do you walk without falling over lol!

:lol::lol:

It is good to know that it won't be a problem! JoJo that is interesting that you find it more difficult when you are feeling stressed or uncomfortable. I am apprehensive about feeding in public, especially being bigger boobed I think it may be more difficult to do discreetly. If it suits us both I may express and bottle feed when we are out.

I know what you mean - I haven't fed in front of anyone except Mike and my mum and the MW/HVs yet, but I am a little nervous about it for the same reason as you. Just feel like it'll be more difficult to be discreet. Going to wait until BF'ing is a bit more established and I feel a bit more confident doing it before we try it in public. I'm hoping it'll be one of those things that once you get the first time out the way it'll be ok!!

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

• Options
    hi, my boobs didn't grow all that much, i was a 34f pre pregnancy and now after pregnancy and breastfeeidng til 7 months i'm a 38g. its mainly ur rib cage goes out where baby has pushed it out. there arz bars in debenhams (by miriam stoppard i think) that were a godsend to me, they double layered and the under layer just a has a bit missing for the nipple so u don't need to get ur whole boob out, so much more discreet, particulalry when the boob is bigger than babies head lol! hth xx
  • Options
    i can second the debenhams miorriam stopard bra's as being good and quite discreet anf quite pretty. they don't look very obvious as nursing bra's. I bought some a few weeks ago and i think they were ??25 for a 2 pack which i thought were reasonable.
  • Options
    babypie, same nursing pads and same bras! lol. i never paid full price for those bras, they always seemed to be in the sale, mostly i paid around ??5 a bra, but then one day i got really lucky and got a pack of two for ??7!!! BARGAIN!!! xx
  • Options
    That is fab thanks, I have seen those bras before and really wanted to get them but couldn't find them! I wondered if it was a size thing. I am definitely going to go to debenhams to be properly fitted and get some of those when my milk comes in.

I know it sounds daft but I am worried about the baby not being able to breath properly when they are feeding because they have got a faceful of boob! I am sure mother nature wouldn't have gifted me with boobs too big to feed with and its a completely neurotic thing to worry about but I am occupying my very bored time waiting for baby worrying about ridiculous things!

Once again you ladies have been a massive help, thank you!!

Miss I
    Technically 38+1 because I am still awake at stupid o clock and its now Wednesday!
  • Options
    lol, i thought that too, so much so that when ds was first born i wld actually push down the bit of boob by his nose (is that makes sense) but the mw told me off, she said that if baby cldn't breathe then they wldn't be able to suck, so if baby is sucking then baby can breathe. there noses are flat so it allows for this. my mum always used to have a look (grrr) and always used to say 'oh no, he can't breathe like that' i had to tell her a thousand times what the mw said before she eventually stopped. so anyhoo, point is, not neurotic, think its a common thought on first babies from those with bigger bosoms image xx
  • Options
    hello Miss IM - how funny - lol..

I have 30F (pre preg)....now 34G.....baby never had problem with boob..

Only problem I have is scooping them 'discreetly' back in bra after feed..whilst baby is on my lap!!! xxx
  • Options
    I have successfully BF three babies whiie having big boobs.

Pre Preg 36 FF and then went upto 36 H. At mo my boobs are a 32 F as I have lost weight but am still BF my LO who is six and half months.

Don't worry about feeding and being able to see. It's never caused me problems and is still discreet.

A always got my bras from Bravissimo as their girls are fully trained and their bras by makes such as Royce offer far more structure and support to big boobs than bras from mothercare, M and S etc.

They are available online but its best to go for fitting as they know what they are doing. Good luck