Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Still trying to wean off breast

Hi girls, this is probably going to be more of a rant than a request for help, but here goes.

Paige in now 8 mths old and still refuses to take a milk feed from anyhthing other than breast (have tried all bottles, teats, diff formulas, and now diff sippy cups etc).

I don't need to wean for any particular reason other than my own mental health now, Paige is my 3rd baby successfully breast fed nut i'm 35yo and want my boobs and body back.

It's now 10.30pm (in Australia) and just rang hotline for family care centre and explained circumstances, expecting support and advice and got:

- why wean now - only a couple of more mths until no need for bottle
- still waking in night? - you have a sleep problem
- can't leave baby with anyone because no alternative - you have separation problem
- why wean at 9 mths - if only for freedom every now and then why bother?
- still feeding at night? - no nutritional value

and it goes on and on.

Needless to say i am now in tears and feeling like the most selfish piece of shit mother.

I don't even know what i want now.

Shell & Paige

[Modified by: Shell311 on 27 August 2008 13:43:43 ]

Replies

• Oh Shell that's awful!! You poor thing. I can't offer any words of wisdom as I'm still exclusively bf my 5 1/2 month old boy and I'm not planning to stop yet. Hope you get some success soon x
  • i feel your pain Sam just loves booby.. just like his dad lol. there is a cup called a doidy cup thats specially for getting bf babies onto a cup as they use the same sucking action. breastmilk only doesnt have enough nutruition if they are only having it and nothing else so feeding at night would be beneficial. loads of people must have gone through this so i think they are just pants to say what they have said. not sure if you have an equivalent to nct in australia
    you should be proud of yourself for managing to bf so long so ignore those silly people and pat yourself on the back.
    sending you big hugs