Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

does anyones BF lo hsve green poo (sorry tmi)

Hi

Yesterday my lo started having green poo's
Could it be something i have eaten or something else ???

Cazz

Replies

• They could be going though a growth spurt and is taking all the goodness from your milk.
  • thanks lisa

I haven't heard that before she seems fine in herself so i'll just keep an eye on her

Cazz
  • My lo has had this too, it comes and goes.
    HV said it could be an infection or not enough milk, (this seems to be the standard response I receive from everyone on every bloody topic when they learn I am breast feeding!!) but as she seems fine in every other way and is really piling on the weight I don't think it was either of these. She does get very, very windy though, so I think it must have been that, something to do with the bile in their tummies I think. I also read on the internet that it can be too much milk, but I didn't think that was supposed to be possible when bf'ing. Was also told to could be something different you are eating, although I hadn't changed my diet.
  • hello,
    Depending upon who you talk to you will get different responses! I dont think there is an exact answer.My lo sometimes has a greeny tinge to her poo,however it soon goes back to normal .The longest ive had it for,is one day.If your child has it for several days and they are unwell, and you are still concerned go and see the GP. When it comes to poo I would be worried if the stools had black or red in it as this is signs or new/old blood otherwise I wouldnt worry.Well thats my attitutde towards it as my lo always seems her normal self with it. xxx

[Modified by: Bumpety Bump on September 23, 2008 04:28 PM]

• Hi all

I spoke to someone yesterday about this the answers i got were :

a) could be something i had eaten ????
    b) could be that lo has taken all goodness from the milk

Oh well i'll see how she goes today

Cazz
  • I posted about this a week ago and got a couple of responses including - maybe she wasn't getting enough of the hindmilk and to make sure i was positioning her with 'tummy to mummy' also that maybe i'd eaten something that caused a reaction...

but best answer and one that seemed to be the answer in my case was that if you are eating a lot of iron or taking an iron supplement this can make their poos green

but everyone agreed as long as everything else seemed fine, alert when awake, no temp and feeding well then green poos are nothing to worry about.

this didn't stop me worrying for the three days she had greens poos and I called oh at work to tell him when she did a yellow poo again!!!

hilarious.... i get so excited about poo and burps! aint motherhood funny!
    :lol: