Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breastfeeding and weaning - what times do you do what...

...and how often do you breastfeed please!

My lo is just 6 months. We actually started weaning her at 5 because she has refulx and we were told it might help. Up until last week she was on two meals a day and about 6 breastfeeds. However, at almost 6 months we moved her to three meals a day, but I'm really struggling to find the right timing for breastgeeding and her solids.

SHe doesn't sleep through well and has been feeding between 1 - 3 times a night. I was giving her a breast feed when she woke up, and then giving her breakfast but the HV told me to do:

Breakfast
Breastfeed midmorning
Lunch
Breastfeed mid afternoon
Dinner
Bedtime breastfeed

But, the problem is that this morning, for example, she was starving. So I breastfed her, and then gave her breakfast, but she wasn't hungry. She slept through her midmorning feed so I thought I'd try giving her lunch (she had also gotten up late so I thought an earlyish lunch would be okay) but she cried through it until I breastfed her first. Then she ate her lunch. She fed mid afternoon, as instructed, had her dinner and then had a bedtime breastfeed but didn't take much.

I am also worried that she wont' get enough milk, and that if I don't feed her first thing, my milk will dry up a little so when I go back to work (at 9 months) I won't be able to go back to feeding her first thing.

Please let me know what you all are doing!

Thanks,

ally x

Replies

• Hi there
    we weaned from 6 months so probably by 7 months he was on 3 meals a day and I did roughly this:

bf first thing (about6.30)
    Breakfast about 7.30/8
    Mid morning bf 10.30
    Lunch 12.30
    Afternoon bf 15.00
    dinner: 17.00
    Bedtime feed 18.30

hth!
  • Hi there
    we weaned from 6 months so probably by 7 months he was on 3 meals a day and I did roughly this:

bf first thing (about6.30)
    Breakfast about 7.30/8
    Mid morning bf 10.30
    Lunch 12.30
    Afternoon bf 15.00
    dinner: 17.00
    Bedtime feed 18.30

hth!

I was about the same maybe bedtime feed was a little later? :\) But there is no right or wrong. Do what you think is best at the time. If your lo has a bf then won't eat don't worry. Babies are the same as us sometimes they are just not hungry.
    xx
  • We are doing baby led weaning so have gone straight on to 3 meals a day at 6 months. At the moment our schedule is:

7:30 (ish) bf
    8:30 (ish) breakfast
    10:30/11:00 (depending on when he wakes from his nap) bf
    1:00 (ish) bf followed immediately by lunch
    4:00/4:30 (depending on when he wakes from his nap) bf
    6:00 dinner
    7:00 bedtime bottle

I have been advised to offer a snack in the afternoon as well but he currently doesn't seem interested. And he hasn't even thought about dropping any feeds during the day so far but then I don't think he is actually eating too many solids. At the moment I am more interested in getting him to taste things and get used to regular meal times. I'll worry about how much he eats when he is having less milk.

Hope that helps.

[Modified by: TheHistoryGirl on September 07, 2009 03:21 PM]

• hey ally! my advice would be to ignore the HV and do what you think your lo wants!
    i was confused too about weaning and bf. i fed on demand til Ruby was 7 months and on 3 full meals a day.
    from then on, we did
    bf on waking at 7:30-8am ish (best to then leave it an hour or so and they will be hungry for brekkie)
    9am- brekkie
    10:30am- bf before nap
    12 ish- lunch
    3:30 ish- bf after nap
    5pm tea
    7:30- bedtime bf

sounds like most of us do kind of the same thing!
    Ruby is on the verge of dropping the daytime feeds i think, sometimes she's not interested. i'm going back to work in 4 weeks when she will be 9 months, and i intend to leave a stage 3 formula feed in sippy cup for the afternoon with MIL, then feed her myself on my days off.
    hth xxx
  • When she was fully established on 3 meals a day my schedule went:

6am bf
    7am brekkie
    mid-morning bf
    12pm lunch
    mid-afternoon bf
    5pm dinner
    7pm bf

But I had minor probs in the early days such as you describe - sometimes she just wouldn't settle until she'd had a bf, even if it was dinner time. In that situaton I offered her some breast and then offered her dinner. Basically I went with whatever she wanted and within a fortnight or so she got used to the idea of meals at meal times and bfs inbetween.

Good luck and don't worry about what the HV says, go with what your baby wants.
  • Thanks so much guys. I am now feeling so much more confident that the first thing morning breastfeed is the way forward. Otherwise what you describe is what the HV suggested, although it is nice to know that some of your lo's took a bit of time to settle into it. She is starting on protein (chicken) today, so I'm thinking that might help her settle into the three meals a day idea.