Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pulling away and squirming while feeding

Has anyone else experienced this? Hugo is 17 weeks and for the last month or so has begun really squirming, wriggling and pulling away while feeding - while still actually being latched on. He also sort of kneads my breast while he's feeding, often pushing it away with his hands while still latched on. It's really painful and when I'm feeding him when we're out, it's difficult to keep holding him in a good position, balance myself and stop from flashing the entire world!

Has anyone else had this? It's every feed and seems to be getting worse. I'm getting to the point where I'm almost considering FF. My nipples feel far more painful than they did when he was newborn.

Help!

Replies

• Hi

My DS1 was similar to this and I spoke to my HV. She suggested it might be that he was getting frustrated with the milk flow cos it's slower than he wanted and he didn't want to have to work harder to make it come faster! She suggested leaning forward slightly while feeding as this can make your flow faster.

Hope its something as simple as that x
  • Amber is 11wks old and is doing this already! It tends to be if she has wind or needs to do a poo. But as you say can be quite painful.

She also kneads my breast which I love but have to remember to bite her nails off or I get scratched!
  • Hi there
    Don't worry, this seems to be a perfectly natural phase that some babies go through. My lo had always been a calm, settled feeder but around 20 weeks she went exactly as you described - very wriggly, writhing around, pulling away and gripping right at the end of nipple (OUCH!) and kneading my breast.

It was actually quite embarrasing to feed any where other than at home as there was no way I could be discreet. I was at my wits end as I was considering giving up BF as my nipples were getting so painful. Anway, I perservered and it lasted about 4-5 weeks. After that she went back to feeding fine again! She is now 6.5 months old and feeds really well (like she did as a newborn). I never did find out what it was, although I do suspect it might be an increase in wind (maybe trying to suckle too fast?). If she started writhing too much, I used to detach her from my breast, try and wind her before putting her back on. Sometimes taking her off the breast for a few minutes was enough to calm her down and get her to finish the feed more calmly! Good luck, I am absolutely sure that your lo will be feeding fine again soon.
    xxxxx
  • Thanks everyone. He's been a little better today but my nipples are now so sore I'm dreading feeds. I'll persevere and hope it's just a phase.
  • Oh God, I am really feeling for you right now, this sounds awful. Toby does this occasionally but not at every feed so it's nowhere near as bad as what you're dealing with. When he does it I do as luckymumoftwo does - I stop and take him off, try and wind him and then put him back on after a minute or two (whether he's burped or not) and try again. It's hard because now he will resist being winded and try and force himself back to a lying down position for feeding but it does seem to work, at least some of the time!

For the soreness I'm sure you're already using lansinoh, the only other thing I can suggest is paracetamol or ibuprofen - I took both for weeks while I had thrush and the GP said it was perfectly safe. Just took the edge off enough to keep going with it.

I was going to suggest nipple shields as well but they will be counter productive if it's a slow flow issue.

Will keep thinking in case I come up with anything else!!

C image
  • Thrush - I didn't think of that, but if you are sore between feeds it definitely could be. I had ductal thrush and it was horrendous - took 8 weeks to get rid of it and I was in agony but we got there and I never had to take time off BFing (I told my GP I didn't want to stop and I guess she gave me a different cream to Boozle's, I was also on drugs and so was Toby, it was that bad). Toby didn't squirm like you describe though although apparently it can sometimes make them uncomfortable or unsettled which might cause Hugo to behave that way?

The other thing I was wondering is whether it could be something you're eating that Hugo doesn't like the taste of? Chocolate is notorious for making babies hate BM if consumed in large quantities - not implying you're a choc fiend or anything but we have just had Easter... also apparently there are some other foods which they can be sensitive to, such as broccoli, garlic and some other random ones. I know it sounds a bit weird but a girl in mr NCT group was having squirming issues and she took a day off eating chocolate and noticed a big difference.
  • Thanks for your replies. I took him to the GP and had his mouth checked and it's definitely not thrush. I am a little sore between feeds but honestly think it's down to him twisting my nipple with his mouth when he pulls off, rather than thrush.

I have been making sure I take my fenugreek tablets religiously in case it's a milk flow issue and for the last day, it's got a bit better. The GP put Hugo on infant gaviscon so it may be that having an affect.

Charlotte, for the first time in living history I hardly had any chocolate over Easter! Easter kind of passed us by as we spent half of it on a plane. I've also tried avoiding some foods (particularly windy ones) since H was about 3 weeks on the advice of my HV. Haven't noticed much of a difference though - though apparently you have to avoid a particular thing for 3 weeks before you reintroduce it, to rule out whether it's having an adverse effect. In any event, I haven't noticed much difference in terms of my food.

So I'm hoping that maybe it's just a phase and things will be looking up soon.

thanks everyone!
  • Peeptoe I'm going through exactly the same thing you are, plus my son's started waking in the night twice for a feed for the first time in 15 weeks. I'm so considering weaning him, but I really wanted to wait until 6 months... I'm not eating anything different to usual, so I don't think it's that? I really hope it's just a phase. Just wanted to know you're not alone, and I totally feel sympathy for the nipple thing - it hurts so so much! Hope things continue to get better x x x
  • Thanks Emily. Hugo has also started waking more during the night - he was waking only once at 3amish (bedtime is 7.30) for a quick feed then going back down till 6.30. Now he's waking at around 1am, taking nearly an hour to settle then waking up for the day (ie refusing to go back to sleep) at 5am!!!

It's killing me, but I don't want to wean him as he's really showing none of the signs that he wants solids - ie watching me eat etc. So I guess I have another 8 weeks of this - agggghhhhh!
  • Peeptoe - I just wanted to say that Jak's been so much better this last day. He's slept through again last night, and seems a lot less fussy - to the point that my poor right boob feels a lot less beaten up today! I tried the leaning forward thing that pixie_woo suggested, and I let him have a break and winded him for a bit because he seemed really burpy, more than usual, so I think that kind of cracked it. Plus I'm cluster feeding him first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening, I really hope this is the beginning of the end of this phase! Hope you're seeing some improvement x x x
  • Oh hun, I've just read that back and I sound like I'm rubbing it in, I'm not! I just wanted to say there was light at the end of the tunnel, persevere I really hope Hugo will be feeding better soon and I'm sure he will. Sorry! I'm knackered and clearly not very eloquent! x x x
  • Emily, I didn't take it that way at all - I'm glad things are going a bit better for you. Hugo is now on infant gaviscon and is beating me up a little less so hopefully it will stop altogether soon. Unfortunately he has developed a nasty cold so he's not sleeping well at night at all. Hoping things will get better once he recovers
  • Jak's back to waking in the night again, but he's got a stinking cold too so I don't think he's feeding as efficiently and that's making him wake once for a feed. Last night it was at midnight, then he went through til morning so hopefully he's getting better. It just seems like one thing after another for him at the mo, poor love, he gets over one issue and another starts straight away!

How's Hugo doing this week? x x x
  • Hi Emily, no improvement for us sadly. He's still waking every 1.5-2 hours in the night and feeding in public remains a bit of a nightmare - as one friend over coffee remarked today, it's like I'm trying to breastfeed a bag of puppies!

He still has a bit of a cold so maybe that's taking its toll, but I think it's a mixture of that, the recent trip in NZ which put his body clock out of whack, and his recent jabs which taken in comination have completely thrown him.

It's now been nearly 3 weeks since he's stopped his fantastic sleeping pattern (going down at 7.30, waking once for a quick feed then back down again till 6.30) so I'm forced to accept that he's not suddenly going to switch back to normal and I'm going to have to instigate some sort of sleep training. I'm just waiting till I have sufficient reserves to start it as at the moment I'm too tired to do anything other than to feed him every time he wakes, just to ensure some sleep!

Hope Jak is over his cold and back to sleeping well?
  • Nope, in fact, the feeding's becoming a nightmare again too! It's been three weeks this Sunday for us, I'm starting to lose it. I am fine getting up in the night for him, he goes back down so brilliantly it's not a problem. It's the daytime - he just won't feed from the same boob for more than about 5-7 minutes, and my nipples are getting sore from him pulling his head back violently without actually unclamping his jaws! I really thought things were getting better but they're worse!!!!!!!!
  • I feel your pain Emily (literally!). Hugo is doing the same, especially in the daytime. When he wakes in the night (I feed him every time, I just don't have the reserves at the moment to withold feeding when I know that in 20 - 50 mins, he'll go back down again asleep) he feeds 'nicely', just gets on with it and falls asleep. It's such a relief! But I'm building a rod for my own back, I know. I've signed up to the Baby Sleep Answers website and as soon as Hugo is over his cold I'm going to start.

Hugo has also started sort of whimpering while feeding, or making noises at the back of his throat. This accompanies the restless eating so it's GREAT fun in public. I'm sure people must think I have kidnapped him!
  • My 10 week old son started doing this a couple of weeks ago and it's a nightmare! He only does it after about 5 mins on the breast so I suspect it is him getting frustrated with how fast the milk is flowing because he stops again if I put him on the other side. He never does it at night either so he must be too relaxed then to want to feed so quickly! It's so annoying as I'd really gotten the hang of feeding in public recently and now I dread him making such a fuss. Luckily he seems to be doing it less the last few days but now he's started to get really nosy and pops off to have a look round instead, argh!
    Hope it is just a phase as luckymumoftwo experienced cos my nipples can't take that all the time!
    Fingers crossed ladies!
    x
  • Peeptoe, I could've written that post about the night time feeds. They're perfect, and he sleeps straight after perfectly. I know he's hungry though, it's the only thing that pacifies him, not even picking him up and cuddling him stops him crying. I'm at my wits end, I was so tired earlier today I swear I couldn't concentrate - I put the packet of dried cous cous away in the fridge and shoved the margarine away in the cupboard and then cried because I couldn't find it to put on a slice of toast.
    Scubachick, that sounds so familiar, putting Jak on the other boob stops him crying and getting frustrated, so maybe it's a flow issue for me again?
    I give up, I'm in tears as I write this because I gave in and fed him baby rice earlier at about 5pm because I didn't know what else to do. I tried to express to put that in the rice - the pack says you only need about 15ml and I couldn't even get that. I've ALWAYS been able to express at least 2oz, at any time of the day, and I used to get 5/6oz first thing in the morning. I'm so gutted, I think my milk's drying up and I don't know why.
  • Oh Emily, sounds like you're having a shocker at the moment. I asked my HV about my milk drying up and she suggested I try domperidone which you can get over the counter at the chemist. It's for bloating I think, but one of the side effects is increased milk supply in lactating mothers. So I've been taking that, in conjunction with my fenugreek tablets and I can now safely say that if Hugo is mucking around on my breast, my supply is not the problem. I haven't expressed for ages though so not sure how much I'd get out if I tried.

I too gave Hugo some rice in a bottle of formula for 2 nights in a row, to see if it made any difference to his sleeping/comfort levels at night. This was recommended by the GP. It made no difference whatsoever though, so only did it twice and he's now back to BF exclusively.

I know exactly what you're going through with the tiredness. Last week I swear I fell asleep literally on my feet in the kitchen! I suddenly felt myself start to fall backwards which woke me up (and gave me a heart attack) and I've been petrified of falling asleep when holding Hugo, ever since.

I hate feeling like this but I really can't wait till he's old enough for solids. I know I'll miss this time when it's gone though.

Hang in there, and I hope things have been better for you in the last day

Peeptoe x