Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Please tell me this will end?

My DS is now 3wks old today and is constantly feeding. And i don't mean frequently, i mean constantly. He's nodding off for 5 or 10 mins on me but he then either wakes and roots again or if i put him down he wakes and cries for more. When he realises he's not attached to my boob he goes frantuic sqealing, rooting and chomping at his fists-it's like he's addicted.

He's been feeding very frequently up till now and i've struggled to keep it up but this is now ridiculous. Luckily his latch has vastly improved and i'm not sore but he has been feeding now since he woke at 5am (it's now 8pm)-aaaaaargh! It was the same yesterday too and i thought maybe he'd sleep longer overnight but he eventually conked out at 11pm only to wake again 3hrs later.

I know you'll probably say it's a growth spurt but i'm so worried i'll never be able to put him down again and get some peace. He's never been a 3-4hrly chap, more like an hrly boy but now i can't get 5mins and i had to let him cry whilst i cooked my DD dinner. He must be so tired aswell cos other than nodding off for the odd cat nap he's not slept properly all day.

Please help me stay sane.........

mummaJ
xXx

Replies

• I found that by 6 weeks everything started to calm down, until the next growth spurt!

Have you tried a dummy? It may help as your lo may just be a sucky baby and a dummy might help to settle him and try to stop him using you as a dummy.

Other than that, have some good movies on hand, remote controls, some chocolate and some drinks next to you! It is hard but it will get easier - i promise!

Don't feel guilty about letting him cry, you had no option and it won't do him any harm to have a little cry. You can't be there all the time.

Try to enjoy the cuddles you are getting now, they won't last for long!

Lx
  • Sorry can't help with the bf'ing but didn't want to R&R. Perhaps you could try wearing him in a sling, either attached or not xx
  • Hi hun, some people have babies that feed well and regularly, and sleep for 3hrs solid in the day - whilst others have more demanding unsettled babes, that seem to need constant comfort/carrying. Sounds like he could be using bf'ing as a comfort - in which case a dummy might get you through this difficult phase. I know some people don't like them - but they can be a godsend - just to give baby that comfort they normally get from the boob. Swaddling, dummy and rocking off to sleep worked wonders for my difficult ds1.

Rest assured it will get better - these early weeks can be the hardest - with ds1 I was tearing my hair out at 3-4wks old, just due to sleep deprivation, and having a difficult colicky baby. Just take a day at a time, and try and relax and enjoy the cuddles - he will become more settled as time goes on.

Putting baby in a sling and doing the hoovering is good for getting baby off into a good sleep, and you might find he's a different baby after a good chunk of sleep! - I can remember eating my dinner standing up wearing baby in a sling! But it doesn't last forever. xx

• Hiya!

I have to agree with what the others have said regarding a dummy. I was reluctant to give my LO one so soon but I did and it has helped. There were a few nights when I knew that he couldn't still be hungry and was just using me for comfort.

As long as your happy that breastfeeding has been established and LO's position and attachment is good you could give it a go.

xxx
  • How u getting on now mummaJ, Any change? xx

Stacey and Jacob 15days
  • Hi Stacey,

Well no improvement i'm afraid, still feeding constantly and mastitis still making me feel horrid, although that is slowly getting better. Seen lactation consultant today and she's querying a posterior tongue tie (see my post titled fao bodlondon) so there may be a glimmer of hope that things could improve but i'm feeling so drained now.

How's things with you hun?!
  • Are you eating plenty?? I had this the other day and my health visitor asked what I was eating and drinking which was pretty minimal to be honest, she said that Sophia might be getting milk but if it has no calories in it she wont get full! I upped my calorie intake that day and it solved the problem straight away! Just thought I'd add my own experience, I know how horrid it is when they don't seem to be getting what they need, it's just draining!!!

Good luck xxx
  • Thanx for the advice littlelyns-i think i'm eating fine. 3 square meals and snacks 9although am having to force it in a bit), so not sure that's the problem. Glad it worked well for you though!
  • Ohh, you poor thing. It sounds like you are having a hard time at the moment. I seem to remember having a good few days where LO had mega feeds and then would be grumbling for more again within ten minutes at 3 weeks.
    I'm sorry I don't have much advice, but I reall hope things get better for you soon.
  • mrs for the first 4-5 weeks with my ds2 i sat on the sofa with a baby constantly attached to my boob i even wondered why i had bothered buying a pram as he wouldn't go any where but on me muching, like others have said it did start to settle around 6 weeks but i will not lie it was tough going but im glad a perservered - he just looooooves the boobies!!!!! xxx its normal and unfortunatly not all get the luxury of a bf baby who will sleep fro a good few hours after a feed image me included xx