Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

any advice for breatfeeding welcome

Hi there i was just wondering if anyone could help. Im planning on breastfeeding my lo and need some advice for getting through the first few weeks as i know they can be tough. I only managed 3 weeks with my first shes now 2. I never really felt i had the support or advice i needed.
Can you tell me how your other children reacted to you feeding a newborn. My daughter cant bare for me to be touched, [even having my blood pressure done she crys] since she first had to be kept in hospital.
She seems to have a good understanding of everything that is going off and cant wait to meet the new baby, i just want to be as prepared as possible.

Id be really greatful of ANY advice you can give. Thank you for taking the time to read this and helping me out.

Steph

Replies

• Hi. I stopped feeding at 3 weeks with my second baby then 6 weeks with my 3rd only to learn with my 4 th that babies have growing spurt at 3 and 6 weeks and will feed more and it is nothing to do with not making enough milk , it's just their way of increasing your supply for their need.
    My 2 year old is fine with me feeding the baby most of the time. i make sure he has puzzles or books to look at whilst i am feeding. he has at times put his hand on my breast to try and "help fed" which i then try and distract him by getting him to do some thing else. When at times he has asked for "booby to be put away " i just lay a thin muslin square over the baby so he can't see. hope this help a little. ruth
  • thanks for that. i wish some1 could have told me that last time. I was feeding every 2 hours with my first and found it really hard. I found out a few weeks ago from this mw that it is quite common to feed that often. I will have to remember about the growth at 3+6 weeks. Thanks again.
  • when i got my notes there was a cartoon type booklet about breastfeeding so i made up a little story to tell my 2 1/2 year old, so by the time baby came he knew she would have to get her milk from mummys boobies. i know its hard but you have to let them have a good look at whats going on and then they just except it and dont really think anything of it. i would say how rubish it was drinking booby milk and it was so cool that connor was big and could have things like chocolate milkshake and chloe couldnt. the other thing is dont panic and seek help, were on here all the time, there are other webites phone numbers and councellors. if your ever worried just ask because we have all been there and it makes a big differece to be reasurred by people that have been there. the last thing is pay no attention to people making comments 'isnt she small' it can start to make you worry when actually people dont know what there talking about.

good luck and we are all here when the time comes if you need us.

sian