Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

4 months and starving!

Hi, my LO is 17 weeks today and for the last week he has been feeding all the time and still looking for more. Instead of feeding and having that full up look, he just looks at me like yeh mum where is the rest! Someone (Ladybird) said she had heard they have a big growth spurt at 4 months so was just wondering if this is why? He has been sleeping well since 9-10 weeks and he has got up at 4am twice in the last week hungry.

I feel as if someone has turned of the boob tap and he's never getting enough! I have 2 other kids but i cant really remember if they did this or not

I'm a confident BF but am feeling like i'm going to need to top him up with formula. I know he shouldnt need it but its getting ridiculous!

Gemm x

Replies

• Hey gemm,

As you know Emily has been the same. She woke this morning at 3am and drained both boobs and started to get a bit frustrated. I hadnt expressed so i felt quite full, but i just feel like she might not be getting enough as she is feeding every 2-3hrs during the day and 4 at night.

She also took ages to feed! usually she can take 15 mins and thats her happy but she was feeding for at least 30 mins this morning.

Hope someone can advise us!

Lx
  • Oh lb, 3am is not good!!! Arran slept till 7am so not too bad but his feed this morning was both sides and took nearly an hour, and that was with me feeding him at 10pm last night. He was crying for it this morning which isnt like him.

Feeding now, he was crying by 10.45am this morning, we were usually going till 11.30-12 before!

AArrgh.

Gemm x
  • Can't offer any advise to either of you as I am expressing for all of Niamh's feeds but just wanted to give you both a big hug xxx
  • Hoping Emily will be more settled tonight but i really doubt it. Her gums are really bothering her tonight - or at least i think thats whats wrong. She screamed for ages before finally sleeping on me.

Mrs C - thanks and wow, congrats to you for still expressing! Are you finding it easier now? Niamh is very lucky to have such a dedicated mummy image xxx
  • Hi LB

Thanks LB, its comments like yours that keep me going image

Yes I am finding it alot easier! I have the expressing down to 3 times a day now and we are just about getting by! She has about 3 bottles of formula in a week if she has depleated the supply of milk I had built up but then by giving her a couple of bottles of formula I manage to get the supply back up again!

I would try and introduce another expressing session but each one is taking me about 1 hour and I can't really find another hour in my day to express! I would rather give her the small amount of formula she has if it means I keep expressing the majority of her feeds! I am so much happier now and we love getting out to all our groups and meeting other mummies and babies x