Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breastfeeding advice please (also in Nov 09)

Hi all

I just wrote and tried to post this and BE ate it....so here goes again.

I have been breastfeeding my LO Aimee for just over 3 weeks now and it has been quite difficult due to her having a tongue tie. It has been painful for me and frustrating for her. She would feed for a long time, at times well over an hour on each breast.
The tongue tie was corrected yesterday and whilst this has meant less pain for me (hooray) it has also resulted in faster more efficient feeding for Aimee. She can now be satisfied after 10 minutes on each side....is this normal????

The question i guess is how long do your babies feed for? AND
How long between feeds?

Any information would be gratefully recieved as i am having to adjust to the new feeding routine.

MJx

Replies

• I think that is normal. My son has always been a fast feeder, plus I seem to have fast-flowing milk. When he was tiny, he was happy with 15-25 mins on one side, but now he can get all he wants in 5 mins (6 months old).
  • thats definitely normal... when maddie was younger she would feed one side at a time only for 5-10 mins, every 2 hours or so. sometimes more often and sometimes 3-hourly.

if i left her with expressed milk she would only take 15mls in about 5-10mins so obviously not getting a HEAP of milk but she was happy and grew at a fast rate!!

I am soooo glad the tongue tie got corrected and that it's helped both of you! Maddie also had TT and it helped a LOT once she had hers cut.

good luck hun xx
  • If lo seems happy and satisfied I'm sure it's fine. I know they vary greatly because my first would spend a minimum of 20 minutes, sometimes 40, and feed from both breasts at every feed, and my second has one at each feed and is done in 5 or 10 minutes!
  • My LO was a fast feeder too, 5-15 mins on one side only was quite normal. Very occasionally she'd feed for longer or have both boobs.

As for time inbetween feeds - anything between 1-3 hours for the first 5 months or so.

A long as Aimee carries on putting on weight and seems content after a feed I don't think you need to worry :\)
  • I worried about the aount of time my lo feed for until she was on solids! She was also a fast feeder, about 5-10 mins. Her weight dropped down a little whilst breastfeeding, but she was a happy little thing and it went right back up at 6 months when solids were established. So it sounds like you both are doing really well.
  • Thanks for your replies ladies.
    I have decided to just let things be and let Aimee set her own pace. She knows when she is hungry and when she is full.
    She was weighed today and at 4 weeks is now back to her birthweight and slightly above so things are going in the right direction....yay!
    Its good to know that some babies feed quickly, puts my mind at ease and along with her now gaining weight nicely....i think i shall relax and enjoy my baby a bit better.

MJx