Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

expresing feeds/ warming the milk?

Hi,

i'm due next week and just trying to be organised ;\)

I plan on bf'ing but after the first 3-4 weeks i was hoping to express some milk during the day so that hubby can do a couple of night feeds or so we can take a bottle out with us when visiting family/shopping etc.

I assume if i express during the day the milk needs to be stored in the fridge if not planning to use it until the night time? Do i need to reheat the breast milk before giving it to the baby? and if so to what temp- would letting it just warm up to room temp on it's own be okay or does it need to be warmer than this?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks in advance for any help xxxx Claire

Replies

• Im not an expert on bf but I am a mum of two so I have some experience! I warm my breast milk/formula in a jug of boiling water when its been in the fridge or from room temperature. You just need to check the temperature of it by putting some of the milk on your wrist.

It needs to be warm enough as not to give them a stomach ache, but not too hot. Once you have done a few, you will now when its warm enough.

Some babies do however prefer milk at room temperature. My friend has only ever given her baby milk at room temperature.

I have given my baby milk at room temperature before when hes screaming for food and he does take it but I find that when its warm, it settles him down more - and I always give him warm milk at night so that he will go back to sleep again!

I hope that helps
  • its all dependant on your lo - MJ likes to have her milk almost hot as thats how it comes out of the boob. if its even a degree too cold for her she'll spit it out. Other babies i know will take it at room temp.

you can leave it on the side for about 6 hours (current guidelines) so it depends on when you express, but i'd fridge it and warm it up again to be on the safe side...

xx
  • Yep as Mummystephe says each lo is different we never warmed breastmilk for max we just served it at room temp!
  • Hi Faz i expressed from 3 weeks ...once u expressed u can keep it in the fridge for up to 24hours ......or if u freeze it u can freeze it for 3 months ..... from frozen u put it in the fridge for 24 hours to defrost then u can keep it for another 24 hours i think..........i warm a bottle if im going out then keep it in those tommy tippee warm/cool carriers ... my lil one likes it at room temp (just like wen it comes out of ur boobies ) but she will also drink it cold but i know some babies wont do this .. ull know wat ur lil one will like.

• Thanks for the advice ladies x

it is my due date on tuesday so not long now!

Thanks again x