Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

contraception while breastfeeding?

Hi everyone,

I was given the contraceptive injection in hospital a few days after my baby was born, he's 10 weeks now so i went to the doctor today to see about getting another one.
The doctor recommended that i didn't get the injection again, or the mini pill as she thought the hormones might not have a good effect on the baby since i'm breastfeeding.
Then she recommended that i use natrual contraception - ie, charting when i'm ovulating and not having sex at those times. that sounds a bit unreliable to me, so i was just wondering what everyone else is doing about contraception while still breastfeeding.

Replies

• Options
    Hi have you asked about the mirena coil?? Must admit i've not used it but my sister has it and my doctor was very keen for me to use it, apparantly it is fine whilst your b/f. I just didnt fancy it.
  • Options
    I am going to go back on cerazette which is a mini pill and safe for breastfeeding.
  • Options
    I think your doctor is talking crap!! The mini pill is fine while you are breastfeeding, I took cerazette but I didn't get on with it (breakthrough bleeding) so I decided just to get pregnant again instead lol.
  • Options
    Hi I wouldn't be brave enough to rely on the natural method especially as my periods return 2 months after giving birth. As others have said the mini pill is safe whilst breastfeeding but we just use condoms as it doesn't happen often enough to bother with trying to remember to take the pill very day with 3 children to keep me busy!
  • Options
    lol@ bedhead.
    She's right though- mini pill is fine (which reminds me I've forgotten to take mine... where did I put it..?) you can't take the other type of pill because it has th estrogen type hormone in it but the progesterone only ones are fine for bf. I'm using 'Noriday' and there hasn't been a problem (except I can never remember to take it - but thats not a problem because we never have sex anyway - lol). I think you should tell your doctor where to shove it and tell her you're willing to take the "risk". She's stupid - tell her that your doctor friend (even though I'm not) said its fine! ^_^
    xx
  • Options
    hi 8 weeks after by baby was born the doctor said it was fine to have the depo injection which last upto 12 weeks and i breastfed my daughter for 6months after that, they only say it can reduce breastmilk if u havent got a full flow established but its absolutey fine.