Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stopping bf 12 month old

Hi, I want to stop bf my lo she has just turned 12 months old, I was feeding her twice a day but have now cut out the sfternoon feed and I am just feeding her last thing at night. However I can't get her to drink cows milk, I have tried it cold, warm in a beaker, cup even flavoured with strawberry. She takes a few sips but thats it. I leave her with the beaker when she is playing and she will occasionally take a bit. She is taking alot more milk now last thing at night but I would like to stop this feed soon as we are trying for baby no 2 and I would like to have my evenings back again so I can go swimming to the gym etc. Does anyone have any tips on getting her to drink cows milk or is it best just to be firm and stop altogether? My hv said as long as she is having dairy products then it doesn't matter if she won't drink milk, however I don't think my lo will quite see it like that when she wants her feed before bed! Sorry for the long post!

Replies

• Options
    Will she take your milk from a cup/bottle? If she will would you consider mixing a little cows milk with yours and gradually increasing the amount of cows milk in the drink (and decreasing your brest milk)? Would get her used to it slowly.
  • Options
    Hi I haven't given her a cup/bottle with my milk since she was about 6 months old. She will happily drink water out of a beaker though
  • Options
    will she drink b/milk from a beaker? you could maybe get her used to that first... or give up completely, give her a drink of water and a yogurt before bed, then once she's used to no more b/feeding she might be more interested in drinking cow's milk/ flavoured milk.

good luck hun, stick firm with whichever decision you makeimage
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just to let you know I stopped feeding on friday and my lo didn't even care! We changed her evening routine and her Dad put her to bed (story, drink of water and rice cake and bed) she still won't drink cows milk but we keep trying. I can't believe it I though we would have a couple of days of hell but she hasn't even noticed!
  • Options
    Oh thats good to hear that it wasn't as much trouble as you thought.My lo is 9 months and I have it in my mind to stop b/f at about 12 months and I am already dreading it.!!!!!
  • Options
    Glad she behaved herself! Millie won't drink cows milk but if we blend it with a banna and a teaspoon of organic cocca then it doesn't even touch the sides, so maybe that would be worth a go.