Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Constant fussing

Just lately my lo is being really restless and always fussing on the boob. I wouldn't say its on every feed but the majority of them he flails his free arm around like crazy all over the place and slams it into my chest whilst sometimes kicking his leg around, then after he's been feeding for about 5-10mins (if that) he'll then just constantly pop on and off the nipple non stop while looking round the room and getting distracted by any little noise.
At first I thought it was I was empty but when I try to hand express a bit to test, theres usually milk there. I usually end up swapping boobs once or twice as this seems to settle him a bit longer before he starts again.
Sometimes he'll moan like he's getting frustrated but I know he's getting plenty of milk as apart from lots of wet & dirty nappies he's always sick loads.
It's getting to the point where my nipples are getting a bit sore with all the fussing he's doing and I'm starting to not look forward to feed time anymore which I don't want to happen cause I love bf him.
Any ideas what could be the problem from you experienced bf mummys?

Louise xx

Replies

• it could just be that hes being nosey at the moment or the other thing is they go through phases of being lazy, after the inital let down and quick flow he might not be bothered to put in the effort to suck. either way im sure it will sort its self out.
  • Sounds like he is just a nosy little boy to me! Millie used to be just the same, she was especially bad in public and used to pull off after more or less every suck for a look round, very embarassing! I used to wear a feeding necklace which helped to keep her attention. You can buy them on Ebay but they are basically just a long string of baby safe beads threaded onto a long cord so they are fairly easy to make. You might find that feeding in a slightly darkened quiet room when you can helps but this just made Millie worse!
  • Hi my lo went through the same thing and still does fuss at the breast sometimes.The on off thing I think is just them being nosey.I thought the same as you that maybe my milk was going .My nipples also were getting sore but I am happy to say that it has settled down so hopefully its just a phase.

The necklace idea sounds good I would also just check your positioning when feeding as someone told me that as our little ones grow we dont always adjust the position we are holding them just to make sure they are getting the milk out as quick as possible.

Hope it settles down for you soon
    xx
  • My LO liked to bash my chest with his spare arm and he also got distracted but tended to hang on when he turned his head - Ouch!
    He is a very nosey baby & and the bashing thing hasn't changed, he is on formula now - he bashes his bottle instead or scratches my chest!
  • Thanks for your replies and suggestions! I guess he is just being a nosey little blighter at the moment then lol.
    Bedhead I am liking the idea of the feeding necklace as he will play with any jewellery I wear now so this might be a good idea to keep his attention.

Thanks again all xx
  • I also have a slapping on the chest baby and as she still feeds in the rugby position (at 11 months) she also likes to slap my face and stick her fingers in my mouth and scratch my teeth and gums which actually hurts but keeps her feeding so she gets to carry on doing it! ahhhh, luv em!!
    Actually, her latest is getting one of my hairs (after pulling out about 30 in the process) and that keeps her occupied for a good long feed - another option instead of a necklace maybe?

loui4 - how old is your lo?
  • Hey arg, Kade is now just over 5 months. I had to laugh at what your lo does but it's not funny when it really does hurt is it?
    He too pulls my hair if I forget to push it back out of the way and god forbid if I forget to trim his nails!!!!!!! I have the scars to prove it :lol:
  • Rubi-Mai does this when she has trapped wind and normally takes me at least 10mins to get the wind up then she is fine x
  • Hi twinsmum02

I'm not sure it's wind as he seems to get it up fine once he sits up but I guess it's something I could try...anythings worth a try at the moment till he decides to cut it out!
    Love the name Rubi-Mai by the way image
  • my lo used to do this - I discovered that for him it meant that he was overtired and looking for comfort but not actually needing the milk so was, presumably, getting overfull uncomfortable. Now he does it again (8m) but this time because he's nosy - so he gets 2 chances to latch back on and then he the booby gets put away. We get the big lip letterbox mouth for a bit but he's easily distracted.