Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does each feed have to last 25-30 minutes?

Hi ladies,
I am new to this chat forum as Ethan is only 17 days old but having got through what I think, or at least hope, is the worst of it with horrendous engorgement, severly cracked nipples and mastitis in one boob I am wondering if it is essential that he feeds for at least 25 minutes from one breast? He sometimes manages it but nowhere near every feed yet he is piling on the weight (1lb 8oz in 9 days image !!!!!) and most of the time my milk is firing out at him before he gets the chance to even latch on.

Thanks in advance

Becky x

Replies

• Options
    i personally wouldnt worry how long he is feeding for as long as he is satisfied once coming off your breast by himself. It looks as if he is getting the hindmilk as he is putting on weight fabulously. Well done you! If your concernecd speek to you hv. He is just likely to be efficient at geting milk from you! it only takes my lo 10mins sometimes.
  • Options
    I have always feed lo as long as they have needed, sometimes its 15mins sometimes its 45 mins, but I think 25-30 is a good feed and should last him well for a couple of hours to next feed.

Can I ask about your mastitis - do you lo feed off your sore breast whilst you had it? Did it clear up on its own or did you have to have antibotics?
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies, you have put my mind at rest!

Sevans - I am on the antibiotics at the moment having started them on Friday and I am already feeling a big improvement. Lo has continued to feed of that boob too but I can see how I got it as the crack in that nipple is still healing and is huge - after he has fed off it it opens back up slightly!