Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

another feeding question

well my right nipple has been really sore and cracked for over a week now and last night it bled quite a bit...after feeling quite guilty and speaking to my health visitor ive decided to express from the sore boob and continue to nurse from the other..and hope Ciara doesnt get confused...i know all babies need different amounts of milk but i was wondering what an 'average' amount is for a 3 week old...i just have no idea how much to express..she usually feeds for about 20 minutes/half hour..ill be hand expressing as usoing the pump on sore boob is far too painful.

thanks

bailey b

Replies

• I think Teagan was taking about 3-4oz each feed at that age. Hope you are feeling better and heal soon xx
  • The breastfeed advisor and people in hospital told us that the amount a baby needs to have depends on the weight. The amount of kilo's * 125 ml divided by the amount of feeds a day. So say a baby of 3.5 kilo's and a feed every three hours, needs (3.5*125=437.5 ml 437.5/8=54.69) 55 ml per feed. Ofcourse it depends on the baby, some drink a bit more, some drink a bit less. But this was the guideline the hospital used when I was there.